Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Highland_3 wrote:Inception is - by a considerable distance - Christopher Nolan's worst film.
I'm interested in what you think is best is?
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

You guys know most of mine.

Hate The Coens deeply.

Hate District 9, a lot.

Many famous and loved films (Gladiator, Shawshank, Green Mile, and ones like them) aren't nearly deserving of credit, and are rather simplistic on multiple levels, or just flawed. Gladiator's awesome, but it hasn't aged well, and the script isn't great.

Oh, I'm sure others will come to me, but those are some big ones.

-Vader

Cilogy wrote: At least attempt to explain why.
I really don't like the dialogue. I think it's poor for the most part but compared to his other work, it's not up to the usual standard of dialogue I associate with Nolan. I watched it again a few months ago and I was physically cringing at a couple of lines.

The next criticism I have of it is more of "I'm playing devil's advocate" here point of view. If it isn't a dream then the supporting characters are one dimensional and there a few scenes which are poorly edited with regards to cutting away from the scene and so on. I actually disagree with the idea that it isn't a dream but I still believe that these criticisms still stand.

The film has a Michael Bay "feel" about it in some scenes. It goes over board with regards to action when a less "in your face" approach could have sufficed.

I don't feel a connection with any of the characters. I do in his other films.

Of course it suffered from incredible levels of hype and fan boy acclaim. It is a good film but it's Nolan's worst IMO.

It's not a popular opinion on here, I accept that, however if you take a completely objective view of the film, it's clearly vastly overrated by many.

American Beauty is a very good film but didn't deserve the Oscar for best picture back in 99 (to be exact in 2000).

The Social Network and The King's Speech weren't even among the top ten best of the 2010.

Forrest Gump was better than both Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction and deserved the Oscar in 1994.

This thread is pointless and awful.
I don't get all the Gosling hype.

Cilogy wrote:Dear heist genre,

Stop being like mostly comical or tongue-in-cheek movies.

We get it, stealing things with an ensemble cast produces a variety of quirky characters in awkward situations.
This, and the same can be said of the gangster movie genre. What made Animal Kingdom special is that it didn't have constant pop culture references and quirky dialogue.

We get it, stealing things with an ensemble cast produces a variety of quirky characters in awkward situations.
Also the horror genre needs to stop making cheesy high school slasher flicks and actually make something that scares the shit out us for a change.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DoubleD wrote:Also the horror genre needs to stop making cheesy high school slasher flicks and actually make something that scares the shit out us for a change.
You should look into asian horror, some good stuff there. Check out Noroi: The Curse :)

DoubleD wrote:

Also the horror genre needs to stop making cheesy high school slasher flicks and actually make something that scares the shit out us for a change.
To be honest, most genre conventions should have the occasional film that breaks the mould, whether heist, gangster, horror, comedy or other film genres.

Also Zodiac is my fav Fincher movie

tom hardy is the best actor of his generation
jgl has a long way to go to be an incredible actor
chris nolan needs work on his writing
inception doesnt have much depth to it