Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:Way to downplay Aliens with one simple line as opposed to Alien thematics synopsis. I could write as many lines about Aliens being the battle of opposing matriarchs, female in a strictly male society, buirocracy against the people or simply study of how to build strong enough tension in a horror/action environment. Both movies are arguably different and interestic enough on the thematic levels that there is no valid point pro or contra. As jibran said, depends on the mood, and both are equally great. That's it prince, thanks!
Those are all repeated themes established in Alien. I love both movies and give them very similar ratings, but one is a piece of high-art cinema inviting a thorough academic analysis and the other has far thinner goals, which given who directed both should be no surprise.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Way to downplay Aliens with one simple line as opposed to Alien thematics synopsis. I could write as many lines about Aliens being the battle of opposing matriarchs, female in a strictly male society, buirocracy against the people or simply study of how to build strong enough tension in a horror/action environment. Both movies are arguably different and interestic enough on the thematic levels that there is no valid point pro or contra. As jibran said, depends on the mood, and both are equally great. That's it prince, thanks!
Those are all repeated themes established in Alien. I love both movies and give them very similar ratings, but one is a piece of high-art cinema inviting a thorough academic analysis and the other has far thinner goals, which given who directed both should be no surprise.

-Vader
Not really, Newt is the one who brought that matriarchal element in Ripley. In Alien she's just a lonely (and unlikely) survivor, Aliens made her look like a true heroine/surrogate mother. Check out the link above, the one that prince put, you can talk about Alien 3 as well, from multiple standpoints and entirely different than Alien and Aliens, or even analyze how shitty Alien Resurrection was. Point being, first three movies have plenty of meat to chew on, and the fourth one to throw our acid on. Or you can just say: Aliens - ''good dumb fun'', which is not entirely true is it.

jibran wrote:I've always enjoyed Aliens more. As an action flick, it's just phenomenal. Depending on the purpose, I'm stuck in saying which is better but I love both dearly.
Exactly. Way I see it, each film has a (slightly) different approach, and (IMO) they're all classics. Ridley's all gothic sci-fi horror, Cameron follows in some degree, but mostly his Aliens is more action / adventure, and Fincher's storytelling goes deep in the grimm, hopeless, even depressive style (no happy ending).

IMO, Alien is flawless. The story, cast, music, and most of all, the production design and art direction. Being the visual artist that he is, he assembled a dream team of concept design artists including legends like Ron Cobb, the late Jean "Moebius" Giraud, and of course, Giger (who provided the most differential design element of the film and, why not? the genre). There's so much to praise about Alien, it would take an essay to cover it all. Vader's analysis :clap:

Thanks for the article, prince. :twothumbsup:

Vader182 wrote:About Alien vs Aliens-

Alien is a deservingly iconic work with complex oppositional intentions that attack hegemonic values in extraordinarily clever ways. An ensamble of primarily male cast members reveal an empowered and driven female protagonist that defeats a creature aiming to rape and impregnate, including and especially men. As if that alone wasn't enough of a thematic gut-punch, it continues the attack, here towards corporatism all the way to the level of marginalization and manipulation of employee safety for company success. On a craft level, Alien features amongst the greatest set work of all time, while also exhibiting a reference level and innovative use of hand-held, sound, and flashing lights interacting with the camera in the final act rarely toyed with prior, and especially not at once. What conventions of horror it possesses for reasons almost always reaffirming these important themes in the audience's mind. Regardless of the success of the "horror" components in the film, it certainly gives both your brain and film craft appreciating instincts a hell of a lot to find captivating.

Aliens is a really spectacular action movie.

-Vader
Straight up.

gaspernoe wrote:Tom Hardy > DDL
Personally, I prefer Hardy as well. Not to mention the fact that he isn't a total prick to work with.
We really should stop this fighting, otherwise we'll miss the fireworks!

GoldHeartedSociopath wrote:
gaspernoe wrote:Tom Hardy > DDL
Personally, I prefer Hardy as well. Not to mention the fact that he isn't a total prick to work with.
You have worked with DDL?

Allstar wrote:
GoldHeartedSociopath wrote: Personally, I prefer Hardy as well. Not to mention the fact that he isn't a total prick to work with.
You have worked with DDL?
No, but I'm aware of how full of himself he is due to his method acting and how he won't ever "break character" and engage in conversation and have fun with any members of the cast and crew. Read about the production of The Last of the Mohicans.
We really should stop this fighting, otherwise we'll miss the fireworks!

In terms of Peter Parker/ Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire. Still.

MikaHaeli8 wrote:In terms of Peter Parker/ Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire. Still.
I agree. Both have their flaws (Tobey being a crybaby, Andrew being a skateboarding hipster) but I would pick Andrew over Tobey.

MikaHaeli8 wrote:In terms of Peter Parker/ Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire. Still.
Fan-girl.
Brave New World