Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ChristNolan wrote:
josephcq wrote:The Dark Knight is pretty close to perfect.
I can show you a shit load of mistakes.
Eh. You can do the same with T2, it'd still be one of the best action movies of all time. It's not about Arnie's stuntman, or 'five dead, two of them cops' - the film itself is a cultural and artistic marvel.

like continuity stuff?

There was a video that went around a few years ago showing MANY problems with the fantastic armored car chase scene. It shows a LOT of problems, but the thing is, you're not thinking about those when you watch it. The characters, the images, the lighting, the sound, the pacing, the stakes, they all mask those problems, for me anyway.

I would say that having problems that aren't problematic is a lot like not having problems.

josephcq wrote:like continuity stuff?

There was a video that went around a few years ago showing MANY problems with the fantastic armored car chase scene. It shows a LOT of problems, but the thing is, you're not thinking about those when you watch it. The characters, the images, the lighting, the sound, the pacing, the stakes, they all mask those problems, for me anyway.

I would say that having problems that aren't problematic is a lot like not having problems.
that video has been debunked. Continuity errors are part of the medium whether you like it or not. If you're bothered by them then you have the wrong passion.

EVERYTHING WRONG WITH XY IN 60 SECONDS culture.

ugh :facepalm:

I like that you said "debunked." A lot of the issues he cites aren't real problems. That being said several of them are, and I like your sentiment that it's just a part of film.

And yeah, I hate that "everything wrong with" shit.

Re the Zhivago, 2001, Seven Samurai comment: Yes, those films are huge cinematic achievements (and faves of mine) but I don't think that means The Prestige can't be near perfect. Frankly, I consider it the premiere film about human's relationship with materialism and their need to reject it, so basically existentialism. I'm actually sorta shocked no one had thought of it already.

But ya, in terms of cinematic marvels, it's The Dark Knight. It's unwieldy, but lightning in a bottle and a visionary achievement.

What the hell is this supposed Kubrick video going around that allegedly shows him confessing to filming the moon landing? For all of you more familiar with Kubrick than I am, have seen him in interviews and such, is there any validity to this clip?

Skyab23 wrote:What the hell is this supposed Kubrick video going around that allegedly shows him confessing to filming the moon landing? For all of you more familiar with Kubrick than I am, have seen him in interviews and such, is there any validity to this clip?
The video is probably fake. They tried to make it look real but I don't buy it. The guy who's talking clearly isn't Stanley Kubrick.
Last edited by Panapaok on December 11th, 2015, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skyab23 wrote:What the hell is this supposed Kubrick video going around that allegedly shows him confessing to filming the moon landing? For all of you more familiar with Kubrick than I am, have seen him in interviews and such, is there any validity to this clip?
lmao thanks i hadnt seen this. who knew dslr video existed in the 90's!
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on December 11th, 2015, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wasn't there a guy going around and impersonating Kubrick?