Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The ending to Watchmen the film is not better than the ending to Watchmen the graphic novel. I see this opinion around a lot and I don't understand it.

I mean,
I just don't understand how the ending in the film makes any fucking sense. I don't see how Dr. Manhattan would be a good common enemy considering his origins. The weird alien squid thing at least made sense because it was extraterrestrial and thus didn't originate from any particular country, hence why the world could unite against it. Dr. Manhattan is an American creation and an American superhero. Just because he's (apparently) attacking Americans along with the rest of the world does not mean that other countries will not use this to blame America and get super pissed off at them. Much smaller things have caused entire fucking wars.

slimshady247 wrote:The ending to Watchmen the film is not better than the ending to Watchmen the graphic novel. I see this opinion around a lot and I don't understand it.

I mean,
I just don't understand how the ending in the film makes any fucking sense. I don't see how Dr. Manhattan would be a good common enemy considering his origins. The weird alien squid thing at least made sense because it was extraterrestrial and thus didn't originate from any particular country, hence why the world could unite against it. Dr. Manhattan is an American creation and an American superhero. Just because he's (apparently) attacking Americans along with the rest of the world does not mean that other countries will not use this to blame America and get super pissed off at them. Much smaller things have caused entire fucking wars.
But... they're afraid of him. "A walking nuclear deterrent".

slimshady247 wrote:The ending to Watchmen the film is not better than the ending to Watchmen the graphic novel. I see this opinion around a lot and I don't understand it.

I mean,
This. It just makes it the ending of
Fail-Safe.
The graphic novel's ending is far far better and would have been amazing on the big screen.
Last edited by ArmandFancypants on January 19th, 2015, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

I didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey :oops:

No need to be embarrased, it's okay to not like it.

Cop 223 wrote:No need to be embarrased, it's okay to not like it.
Am I on the right forum? :wtf: Did I read that right?

TomsWindow wrote:I didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey :oops:
Did you understand it?

I was expecting to not like 2001 after what I had heard. I was very surprised when I ended up liking it as much as I did. A repeat viewing sometime may help, or maybe it's just not your thing.

And yeh the ending to Watchman is much better in the Graphic novel

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:

I mean,
But... they're afraid of him. "A walking nuclear deterrent".
...of American origin. C'mon man, if the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand can start World War I, I don't see how something with this clear a connection wouldn't fuck shit up.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
This. It just makes it the ending of
Fail-Safe.
The graphic novel's ending is far far better and would have been amazing on the big screen.
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not crazy, haha. It'll always be amusing to me that Snyder decided to stay so stupidly faithful to the graphic novel (which, by many accounts, hurt the film), and the one thing he did change was shit. Sigh. Oh well, I guess.

And wait, how is it that
Fail-Safe ends again?

Solid Snake and Alex Tse wrote that ending, not Zack Snyder.