Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
GunRanger wrote:Before The Dark Knight Rises, Insomnia was Nolan's best movie. I still give Insomnia the edge because of how many times I've watched it, but it's close.
Oh. That IS controversial.

I can't seem to appreciate older movies (decades old) as much as other people. There are very few movies which I truly admire simply because they are timeless or they represent the era well, otherwise old movies feel just that; old. They often look and feel dated to me and I have a hard time liking them more than movies that I see these days.
GunRanger wrote:Before The Dark Knight Rises, Insomnia was Nolan's best movie. I still give Insomnia the edge because of how many times I've watched it, but it's close.
Mmmm

I like Insomnia better than Memento and get a lot of flack for it. It's expertly directed. Nolan took a script that wasn't even his and made magic.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Clint Eastwood isn't a very good Director.

ComptonTerry wrote:Clint Eastwood isn't a very good Director.
He has made a few duds, but he's still pretty good.

BlairCo wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:Clint Eastwood isn't a very good Director.
He has made a few duds, but he's still pretty good.
Ehh. I think he has a couple greats but the majority of his movies are pretty bad, at least Ive found. Lets put it this way, I'm not going to get excited over whatever movie he's directing next.

ComptonTerry wrote:
BlairCo wrote: He has made a few duds, but he's still pretty good.
Ehh. I think he has a couple greats but the majority of his movies are pretty bad, at least Ive found. Lets put it this way, I'm not going to get excited over whatever movie he's directing next.
I enjoy a few of his films, but they are definitely overrated.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

I find Eastwood vastly overrated, I thought Unforgiven was masterful and easily his best film he's directed. I stopped watching his films after Mystic River, it's got some great performances but something about it just didn't click with me.

Since then every film he's directed has had nothing about it that appeals to me so I've not watched another Eastwood since, I love quite a few of his earlier films as an actor, Dirty Harry etc but now I just groan when I see he's attached. I just wish he'd stop getting hold of projects like Edgar, there was a film which had so much potential especially with Leo in the lead but from what I've heard it was a crushing disappointment, it's time he retired he's lost it.

As for Insomnia I think it's a fine film but definitely down the lower level of Nolan's work for me, I think for me it is a better film than the original. The whole Dormer being corrupt and his partner wanting to blow the whistle and then ending up dead which was added made the storyline much more compelling. The log chase is fantastic and that sequence on the bridge with Pacino & Williams which starts with Williams cowering and as the scene plays out the scene completely switches places and Pacino is the one looking like a wreck, the acting here is masterful. Unfortunately the Hollywood ending stops this from being higher in my Nolan ranking, the ending of the Skarsgard original was better and ambiguous the only thing about it I liked more.
Memento is by far the better film, the idea is so original and the ending is exceptional, it still remains my favourite Nolan film closely followed by The Prestige.

1. Memento
2 The Prestige
3. The Dark Knight
4. Inception
5. Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman Begins
7. Insomnia
8. Following

Nolan did a fine job with it and I know the screenplay wasn't his but if you are looking for an example where a Hollywood product surpasses it's foreign equivalent I'd say Fincher does it much more effectively with The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo.

I don't really see what's so "Hollywood" about the ending. Aside from the fact that he finally gets to "sleep," by dying, the criminals he put away won't go free. Pacino's storyline is pretty much the basis for Dent's in TDK.

GunRanger wrote:I don't really see what's so "Hollywood" about the ending. Aside from the fact that he finally gets to "sleep," by dying, the criminals he put away won't go free. Pacino's storyline is pretty much the basis for Dent's in TDK.
Agreed to some degree. I still enjoy the ending of the original a lot better. Nolan gave Insomnia a good ending instead of the haunting original.

Warrior is better than Rocky.