What was the last movie you watched? III

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
mchekhov wrote:Take Shelter 3/5

a rather simplistic story. Great performances. Chastain continues to amaze me with her nuances. Shannon gives a great naturalistic performance. His choices in each scene are so readily identifiable that this would serve as a good lesson for anybody who wants to begin studying truthful acting.
Do you think Shannon is one of the best in naturalism?

I just got and watched two movies, so I’ll review them on here :D

Brick (7/10) Written and directed by the guy who’s going to make Looper, Ryan Johnson. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was very good, and the script was nice and full of twists. Extremely overlooked, I only just found out it existed.

Up in the Air (6/10) I like George Clooney in most of his movies, but I found him a little boring in this one. The music was great and I liked the funny bits, but it wasn’t really right for me.

ragul712 wrote:Brick (7/10) Written and directed by the guy who’s going to make Looper, Ryan Johnson. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was very good, and the script was nice and full of twists. Extremely overlooked, I only just found out it existed.
Why only a 7/10? I would give a 8 or 9.

ragul712 wrote:Up in the Air (6/10) I like George Clooney in most of his movies, but I found him a little boring in this one. The music was great and I liked the funny bits, but it wasn’t really right for me.
I would give this about an 8.

8 1/2 (1963.) - Federico Fellini

Fellini at his autobiographical best, the story about film making, creation and inspiration itself. If I had to choose one of those lovely Italian beauties, I'd choose Claudia Cardinale - now, that's a muse.

VERDICT: *****

RIFA wrote:

a rather simplistic story. Great performances. Chastain continues to amaze me with her nuances. Shannon gives a great naturalistic performance. His choices in each scene are so readily identifiable that this would serve as a good lesson for anybody who wants to begin studying truthful acting.

The best? That's hard to say since the idea of naturalism isn't one of excellence. It doesn't stand out. It doesnt reach into the depths of your subconscious. It's the baseline for the majority of good film acting, disregarding any presence of style. You wouldn't ask who the 10th best player on a team is, would you? What's the point. Since naturalism is largely based on individual mannerisms, it comes down to who's mannerisms you prefer most, and not ability or talent.

m4st4 wrote:
Fellini at his autobiographical best, the story about film making, creation and inspiration itself. If I had to choose one of those lovely Italian beauties, I'd choose Claudia Cardinale - now, that's a muse.
What did you think of La Dolce Vita? I think it's his masterpiece.

ragul712 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
What did you think of La Dolce Vita? I think it's his masterpiece.
La Dolce Vita is one of my favorites, but if I could pick just one standout - Amarcord, definitely. Just the colors and the vibrant atmosphere, amazes me every time.

Martha Marcy May Marlene

3/5

a pretty interesting look at how somebody's social behavior is disturbed after being involved with a cult like family. Really liked how subtle the ending was.

RIFA wrote:

Couldn't have said it better. Shannon's performance is something that everyone needs to see. Take Shelter is a remarkable film.