What was the last movie you watched? III

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Smile wrote:
I thought the pacing was perfect, especially for an epic of it's kind. David Lean was a master of epics.
Are you f***ing serious? 3 hours and 40 minutes? A perfect pacing?
That's length, not pacing.

CrazyEight wrote: Again, you see things in black and white. It's either slow or fast, that's not accurate at all. You are clearly a film snob, the audience absorbs things faster than you think, hence why shots should not linger for too long. If The Godfather were exactly the same, down to every last shot, but was considered crap by critics and most people, you would hate it. I don't hate it. I thinks its damn good filmmaking, but it's highly overrated, and if it can't entertain the average audience, then it's definitely not the best movie in the world. Taste is subjective, saying that everyone who understand mise-en-scene can't find is boring is false, and stating that I'm not really watching the movie is also wrong.
I'm no film snob, I'm a film buff, or whatever you want to call it. You're looking at the screen, but you're not really watching the film. And if you're correct then the audience should shun anything that's slow-paced but this is evidently not true as The Godfather remains in high regard critically and with moviegoers, even the ones who don't understand mise-en-scene. Decades of moviegoers have watched the film and loved it making it a box office hit in it's despite it's slow pace which you say should turn viewers away but it obviously hasn't. And a film isn't overrated because you don't like it.

i too think the pacing sucks in the godfather....i think the film is highly overrated

Hey, this movie has a perfect pacing.

And a film isn't overrated because you don't like it.
And it isn't the best thing to happen to cinema just because you like it. Did you even read my post? I DO like the film! But that doesn't mean that it is the greatest motion picture to ever be released, because it isn't. "The Godfather" was just screened at my school, 150 people watched it, and had to write down there thoughts on it. I asked the film crit class teacher what the general consensus of the film was, out of the 150 people, the general opinion? "Well made, good acting, but boring." That's the upcoming generations average opinion buddy. The movie could have been shortened down to 2 hours easily and flowed much better, and been much more entertaining. Film is, at the end of the day, entertainment. Slow and boring is not entertainment, it's slow and boring. If 3 hours genuinely feels like 3 hours, you the filmmaker have failed as an entertainer. I'm not trying to say that the Godfather is shit, but you seem to think that I am. It deserves to be recognized for it's excellent story structure, music, acting, and cinematography, but it does not deserve the title of "Best movie of all Time", which many have claimed.

Oh, almost forgot, your right, I do not pay attention to movies. That is why I'm a huge fan of the work of Scorsese, Nolan, Spielberg, Jackson, Tarantino, Eastwood, D. Jones, etc..., and hate the majority of Hollywood blockbusters. I must have horrible taste and not actually give a damn or pay attention to movies because I think "The Godfather" is overrated! All hail Eternalist, for he is the only man fit to truly judge film!

Get off your high horse.

CrazyEight wrote:
And a film isn't overrated because you don't like it.
And it isn't the best thing to happen to cinema just because you like it. Did you even read my post? I DO like the film! But that doesn't mean that it is the greatest motion picture to ever be released, because it isn't. "The Godfather" was just screened at my school, 150 people watched it, and had to write down there thoughts on it. I asked the film crit class teacher what the general consensus of the film was, out of the 150 people, the general opinion? "Well made, good acting, but boring." That's the upcoming generations average opinion buddy. The movie could have been shortened down to 2 hours easily and flowed much better, and been much more entertaining. Film is, at the end of the day, entertainment. Slow and boring is not entertainment, it's slow and boring. If 3 hours genuinely feels like 3 hours, you the filmmaker have failed as an entertainer. I'm not trying to say that the Godfather is crap, but you seem to think that I am. It deserves to be recognized for it's excellent story structure, music, acting, and cinematography, but it does not deserve the title of "Best movie of all Time", which many have claimed.

Oh, almost forgot, your right, I do not pay attention to movies. That is why I'm a huge fan of the work of Scorsese, Nolan, Spielberg, Jackson, Tarantino, Eastwood, D. Jones, etc..., and hate the majority of Hollywood blockbusters. I must have horrible taste and not actually give a damn or pay attention to movies because I think "The Godfather" is overrated! All hail Eternalist, for he is the only man fit to truly judge film!

Get off your high horse.
Calm down.
It looks like you've watched it only once. The Godfather is so great it becomes even better on repeat viewings. I also take it you haven't read the book. It has the to be the perfect adaptation of any book made to film. I might even say it is better than the book.

Since you are rubbishing the claim of "The Godfather" as the greatest film, I wonder what is the greatest film in your opinion?

You seem to make a generalisation by saying that the whole upcoming generation doesn't like The Godfather. You're plain wrong. Just because 150 members of your class didn't like it doesn't mean the whole younger generation doesn't like it.

lets all agree that to each his own.
Why you lurking my page brah?

Since you are rubbishing the claim of "The Godfather" as the greatest film, I wonder what is the greatest film in your opinion?
Not directed at me but: To me there is no greatest film. There are just too many great films, and besides, its just an opinion anyways.

Smile wrote:Hey, this movie has a perfect pacing.
:lol:
Why you lurking my page brah?

CrazyEight wrote: And it isn't the best thing to happen to cinema just because you like it. Did you even read my post? I DO like the film! But that doesn't mean that it is the greatest motion picture to ever be released, because it isn't. "The Godfather" was just screened at my school, 150 people watched it, and had to write down there thoughts on it. I asked the film crit class teacher what the general consensus of the film was, out of the 150 people, the general opinion? "Well made, good acting, but boring." That's the upcoming generations average opinion buddy. The movie could have been shortened down to 2 hours easily and flowed much better, and been much more entertaining. Film is, at the end of the day, entertainment. Slow and boring is not entertainment, it's slow and boring. If 3 hours genuinely feels like 3 hours, you the filmmaker have failed as an entertainer. I'm not trying to say that the Godfather is crap, but you seem to think that I am. It deserves to be recognized for it's excellent story structure, music, acting, and cinematography, but it does not deserve the title of "Best movie of all Time", which many have claimed.

Get off your high horse.
A film can't be overrated, your opinion just doesn't match up with the majority's. And I find it funny that you tell me to come off my high horse when you're the one claiming that films should not be slow paced and audiences can't appreciate slow paced film. Your class means nothing, most people raised on MTV have the attention spans of gnats, and your class certainly doesn't determine the future of movie praise. The opinion of future generations is meaningless as I'm talking about present and preceding generations. You fail to explain why such a "boring" film hasn't fallen out of critical and popular favor while similar slow paced films such as Out of Africa and Dances With Wolves, despite being highly praised upon release, have not maintained the same level of praise even a few years after they were released. Why would such a "boring" film be a box office hit and continue to receive praise while other "boring" films haven't? It's been entertaining people for decades, because people are patient enough to sit down and enjoy it. Films require patience, if you're not willing to give that patience it's your problem, not the film's.