What's the last book you've read?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just finished Batman: Black and White Vol. 1. Absolutely beautiful anthology. The first story in the book "Perpetual Mourning" is the version of Batman I like the most; a detective solving crimes in the mean streets of Gotham. I love how the stories strip down the character and offer really interesting interpretations.

I'm linking the motion comic of "Perpetual Mourning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1-Dkq6L-U

I actually really liked Hard Boiled Wonderland when I first read it some years ago, it was my first Murakami book. I forget picking up Wind Up Bird Chronicle all the time though, despite wanting to do so for so long.

Same with Crime and Punishment. I've tried reading it a couple of times over the years, and I always forget and move on. Not because I find it utterly boring or rubbish lol, but I feel like I have my own "phases", when I just can't seem to be able to go through a book. I read so little in 2016, I'm kind of ashamed haha.

Last book I finished in 2016 was Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane.

I really like the book a lot
up until the end though. Like I was disappointed how it was Doyle who took the girl in. And Angie at the end really annoyed me when she begged Kenzie, Oscar, and Devin not to arrest Doyle. Like Angie, Doyle did a lot of fucked up shit to take Amanda. Angie, he is a criminal. Gosh.

I'm reading The Circle right now and this book is so annoying to read.

The main character is boring as hell and has a lot of unlikable traits. Some of the other characters are also unlikable and I feel that some characterizations are very inconsistent and don't make sense when you consider the character's back story. The only interesting character is Kalden honestly.

The premise is interesting but the author is very preachy about his message and theme.

However, I am still reading this book because despite my complaints and the fundamental problems with the book, the book is a fast read and it does keep you hooked.

Reading "IT" right now and its fucking fantastic. I usually do not get in full blown reading mode, but this book is one of those that gets me into that mode. I pray the movie is good. Looks promising and they are capturing a lot from the book well from re-watching the trailer

xWhereAmI? wrote:Reading "IT" right now and its fucking fantastic. I usually do not get in full blown reading mode, but this book is one of those that gets me into that mode. I pray the movie is good. Looks promising and they are capturing a lot from the book well from re-watching the trailer
I was going to buy the book like last week. I got to the bookstore and I had no idea that it was a 5 pound book! So I just bought something else.

I'll definitely have to check it out later though.

Currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Márquez. Kinda always wanted to read this for some reason

Beautiful, and above all, sad.

I'm 300 pages into Stephen King's "It" and it is a great read so far. I find that the quiet character moments and their personalities are much more fascinating than I initially expected and so much of it is very intriguing despite the truly scary moments being few and far between so far. I have not read enough Stephen King novels to recognize what is and isn't a trope in his stories but so far the foreshadowing and the mystery are excellently constructed.

willaartwillem wrote:Beautiful, and above all, sad.

Had to read this during 11th grade english class. Good stuff. It's one of those times where the compulsory book reading for english class is actually not shite.