What's the last book you've read?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Michaelf2225 wrote:reading well written books in different languages (stuff like Hemingway, Faulkner, McCarthy, Fitzgerald) would really really hurt the experience imo

but i'm sure it works vice versa as well
There are a lot of debates in academia regarding just how emotionally effective Albert Camus' The Stranger is in English. There are a lot of arguments about how the first sentence should be translated in English.

It's pretty fascinating how translations can really hurt the original tone and interpretation.

akv1984 wrote:
willaartwillem wrote:
Nomis wrote:Do you all read in your native language or English? If your native language isn't English lol
I read both English and Dutch books
Which language do you prefer to read in?
Well I generally prefer Dutch because it's simply easier to read for me. But if a book is originally written in English I definitely prefer English over the translation.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
Ruth wrote:
Nomis wrote:Do you all read in your native language or English? If your native language isn't English lol
Both. But unless the book was originaly written in English, it doesn't make that much of a difference to me
why do i always think you're American
knowing two languages doesn't necessarily mean i'm not american
but i'm not :shifty:

willaartwillem wrote:
akv1984 wrote:
willaartwillem wrote: I read both English and Dutch books
Which language do you prefer to read in?
Well I generally prefer Dutch because it's simply easier to read for me. But if a book is originally written in English I definitely prefer English over the translation.
Yeah I did the same but now I only read Dutch if the book was written in Dutch or if I don't have an English copy lol, mostly happens when I borrow a book from family or friends.

Ruth, what is the other language tho?

Nomis wrote: Ruth, what is the other language tho?
She'd never tell us.

I sadly don't read a lot of books in my mother tongues anymore. Most of what I read is in English.

Joined the bandwagon. Currently reading It right now. I'm also reading The Fever by Megan Abbott at the same time so that I can stay on top of my reading challenge for this year (I am terribly behind right now).

I finished reading The Circle yesterday. Such a depressing book.

Still waiting for Milo's Dangerous as the SWJs tremble fear and hide in their safe spaces.

Biribiri wrote:Still waiting for Milo's Dangerous as the SWJs tremble fear and hide in their safe spaces.
Is Milo the pedophile dude?

akv1984 wrote:
Biribiri wrote:Still waiting for Milo's Dangerous as the SWJs tremble fear and hide in their safe spaces.
Is Milo the pedophile dude?
Unfortunately it is very easy to destroy reputations by picking anything isolated and out of context. The same happened to pewdiepie