What's the last book you've read?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Finished Jennifer Government by Max Barry last night.

Interesting satire about hyper capitalism but the characters were rather one dimensional.

Now reading Nathanael West's bibliography and Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann.

I finished The Brothers Karamazov, not only my first Dostoevsky but my first substantial piece of Russian Literature. I had read a lot of Tolstoy's philosophical writings but that's all. It is a predictably heavy novel in tone and spirit, but what was not as predictable is the many moments of comedy and out-and-out satire. The central family has shades of the farcical melodrama of The Royal Tenenbaums or Magnificent Ambersons without losing that famed Russian humanism.

It's outstanding, one of the best books ever written on a bunch of interconnected themes but also probably one of the best written period. I can hardly name another book that better articulates the ignorant complicities of our behavior in the world, good and mostly bad, and how to lead a good, moral life that pleases ones soul in the process. It tackles the Problem of Evil and the Problem of Suffering in the world, and challenges the reader to what extent they contribute to either.

I have not related to a character as much as Ivan Karamazov since Hal from Infinite Jest.

I could not recommend this enough, particularly those living in spiritual angst.

-Vader

It's on my list of classics to read for sure. Thank you for the glowing review. I hope when I eventually read it, I can connect with it as much as you did.

we do this with movies so lets do this with books. what are your top 5 or 10 or 20 or whatever favorite books? feel free to include fiction or non-fiction

-Vader

I’ll need to read Brothers, Vader. I’m currently reading IQ84 (amazing btw) and it was referenced in it.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 12:11 am
I’ll need to read Brothers, Vader. I’m currently reading IQ84 (amazing btw) and it was referenced in it.
i'm a huge murakami guy in general. I have a copy of 1Q84 but haven't started it yet. I know a lot of folks think its way too long and meandering, but others who love it. I've read four of his books, two of which are favorites (Wind Up Bird and Kafka).

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 11:08 pm
we do this with movies so lets do this with books. what are your top 5 or 10 or 20 or whatever favorite books? feel free to include fiction or non-fiction

-Vader
This is one I'd really have to think about. Right now my all time favorite is probably Goldfinch.

I'm reading so many good books and catching up on classics like every month so it's going to change like at least 5 or 6 times a year lol.

I haven't been reading much these past few weeks because i've been traveling, busy with work, been sick, or doing other stuff but yesterday I sat down to read some Angela Carter short stories.

The story called The Bloody Chamber is such a wild ride.
at first I was like "damn this rich husband dude sounds sexy" but then he like kills his wives and I'm like "that is so not sexy"

I just finished reading Metabolism in Architecture by Kisho Kurokawa.

Oh, and my 5 favourite English books are probably, as of now,
* East of Eden - John Steinbeck
* Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
* Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
* Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
* The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

Y'all, I'm reading The Goldfinch again to prepare for the kino. It is very fast paced the second time around, moreso than Tartt's other works. Anyway, idk if I'm ready for the feels trip again. And then with the movie...I'm going to be a depressed bitch this month.

Almost done reading Rebecca. This book is so good and so atmospheric. Very dense writing too and I feel like you don't really get that a lot in modern books.