What's the last book you've read?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Michaelf2225 wrote:We have a group project where we create a short film based off Macbeth... Have to get through the play first though.
Try and apply the story in a modern context. Think of The Wolf of Wall Street or House of Cards, or just any other tale about a man's rise and fall. You can see how timeless it is and you'll really appreciate it a lot more.

Also watch Throne of Blood.

Black Science Volume 1: How to Fall Forever

READ THIS. I CAN'T RECOMMEND IT ENOUGH.

Terry Pratchett has died.

Highly recommended by two friends and Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) attached to direct an adaptation was a good sales pitch.

Incredibly atmospheric thriller but weirdly too much twisty. Never thought I'd say it, being a big fan of this narrative trick (I'm a Nolan fan after all), but this went in so many directions that the final reveal felt diminished. Nesbo plays way too much with the reader. Interested in reading his other stuff though

1984 by George Orwell. Still relevant and scarily accurate looking at modern capitalist society.

Batfan175 wrote:1984 by George Orwell. Still relevant and scarily accurate looking at modern capitalist society.
One of my favourite books of all time, actually. Though I'd argue Brave New World is a slightly more accurate depiction of modern society.

Ruth wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:1984 by George Orwell. Still relevant and scarily accurate looking at modern capitalist society.
One of my favourite books of all time, actually. Though I'd argue Brave New World is a slightly more accurate depiction of modern society.
Well, I think if one substitutes Big Brother for a corporation nothing would change in terms of oppression. ideology is irrelevant, since the Party actually manufactures books that voice opposing points of view as well so in the end one does not really know what they truly believe in except the subjugation of all life. Hannah Arendt wrote about totalitarian regimes that they merely use ideology as a justification for oppression but that the ony real constant idea is of total and absolute control so they are rather flexible. I have yet to read Brave New World though.