American Psycho remake

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
mchekhov wrote:Image
I would advocate that. He's the only actor who I can see carrying off the 'Hip to be Square' scene with as much charisma as Bale. But really, American Psycho worked because of Bale, it really was his film.

I really can't see Gosling in this role, unless it's a massive rewrite of the character or something.

But anyway, it shouldn't even be fucking happening,

Someone like Gosling will never go for the role anyway. He doesn't need it. He's at that stage of his career where he's creating his own iconic roles. He's too classy to take on a role already made famous/iconic by someone just recently (2000 is still recent for me). This is not like the superhero roles where you can just replace the actor in a few years. This role will go to the Efrons, Pettyfers, etc. :judge: Regardless, I don't see this happening soon. My guess is it will be in development hell for years.

lol nobody would wanna repeat what Bale did...obviously any actor who steps up to the plate would have a different interpretation and your doing yourself a disservice if you're trying to imagine them act like Bale in the role.

I said Gosling, because he has that psychotic dark streak about him. He comes off a detached and robotic in interviews...and in Drive he played a great sociopath

he could easily pull it off

its way too soon for this remake... because there are some iconic moments within Bale's performance.

2000's one along with The Machinist were superb pretty much because of the same reason - Bale is great at portraying confusion, desperation, panic, anxiety in a way in which makes the picture a tale of someone constantly bouncing off the inner walls of his own psyche. His wide open eyes, sweating face, open mouth, ruined hairdo, clumsy movements each time he enters a state of fear add immensely to the performance and the way it strikes the viewer. Gosling can play it cool and cold, angry and adrenalinish too not sure about the rest. He'll manage but I haven't seen him express true terror in the way Bale has. That is if the adaptation requires it at all, though if it doesn't it'll lose a lot from that.

prince0gotham wrote:2000's one along with The Machinist were superb pretty much because of the same reason - Bale is great at portraying confusion, desperation, panic, anxiety in a way in which makes the picture a tale of someone constantly bouncing off the inner walls of his own psyche. His wide open eyes, sweating face, open mouth, ruined hairdo, clumsy movements each time he enters a state of fear add immensely to the performance and the way it strikes the viewer. Gosling can play it cool and cold, angry and adrenalinish too not sure about the rest. He'll manage but I haven't seen him express true terror in the way Bale has. That is if the adaptation requires it at all, though if it doesn't it'll lose a lot from that.

it depends on the interpretation of the character...Gosling can play it in a totally brilliant, yet different way.

christophmac wrote:I would advocate that. He's the only actor who I can see carrying off the 'Hip to be Square' scene with as much charisma as Bale. But really, American Psycho worked because of Bale, it really was his film.

You're forgetting that Bale's American Psycho was distinctly set in the late 80s. This one will be updated to a 2000s setting, so I think it's safe to assume the characterization will probably (hopefully) be different.

George wrote:
christophmac wrote:I would advocate that. He's the only actor who I can see carrying off the 'Hip to be Square' scene with as much charisma as Bale. But really, American Psycho worked because of Bale, it really was his film.

You're forgetting that Bale's American Psycho was distinctly set in the late 80s. This one will be updated to a 2000s setting, so I think it's safe to assume the characterization will probably (hopefully) be different.

The book is set in the late 80s... updating it is a contradiction to the source material.

The satire on the 80s is one of the big reasons why AP was so brilliant so they lose a bit of its magic by updating that.

"I have to return some Blu-rays."