The Revenant (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I do kind of feel like Inarritu is borrowing the long take aesthetic a bit too heavily from his friend Cuaron, but when it's well choreographed I don't have as much of a problem with it. The difference between the two is that Inarritu always draws attention to his long takes, whereas Cuaron tends to be more relaxed.

MyCocaine wrote:I hate the look of Lubezki's cinematography in the hands of Inarittu. The tedious and unnecessary long takes accompanied with a ever floating camera is killing me. Cinematography for dummies impresses only the Academy.
Dumb as hell for making that statement. As for Lubezki's cinematography... it's not in the hands of the director lol. Lubezki dictates more the film's look recently than the director himself. Lubezki's shots in Malick movies are no different than his shots here. Only the setting is different.
ChristNolan wrote:I still haven't had the want to see this. Is it worth watching over Fanny and Alexander? That's what I plan to watch next.
Yes as Fanny and Alexander is a really slow and long run.
No as Fanny and Alexander is an important piece of cinema history.

shauner111 wrote:I dont see what's unnecessary about the long takes. Once again mycocaine sticks his nose up at anything that doesn't have super detailed meaning. It's gotta have deep meaning in every scene of every movie ever or else it's trashy, apparently.
I felt they were unnecessary for two reasons: 1) they prolonged an already-too-long movie, and 2) they slowed down an already-pedestrian plot. Yes, the shots were beautiful, but I got the beauty in three seconds; I didn't need eight seconds to appreciate it more (if anything, it made me appreciate it less because it felt so self-indulgent).

I disagree but fine. I appreciated it more and didn't feel the movie was too long.

ChristNolan wrote:I still haven't had the want to see this. Is it worth watching over Fanny and Alexander? That's what I plan to watch next.
Eh... I'm not sure. I need to see 'Revenant' again, and while I do think it's an expertly-crafted film that you should see Fanny and Alexander is one of my all-time favorite films so I urge you to find a time to watch it as soon as possible.

Just know it is very long, and is smart to break it up into segments but it's very much worth it.

Cilogy wrote:Image
:lol: :clap:

Cilogy wrote:Image
I love that page :thumbup:

Dicarprio must be spinning the totem right now checking whether he is dreaming or not

what if he stops caring about anything from now on and starts to suck as an actor