Your Favorite Directors

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
rbevanx wrote:Lol well I'll put it in the fridge for a couple of years then. See if I want them more then.
Lol :lol:

Nolan is my number one.

I also love the Coen Brothers (not all their stuff, but most), David Fincher has made great movies (I was even impressed with what he did with Alien 3), just saw Defiance and realized that I love Edward Zwick (his filmography is impressive).

That's just off the top of my head and is focused on current directors.

I love Tarantino and Paul Greengrass. I also respect the works of David Fincher and Michael Mann, but sadly I only saw a few of their films. And I love Terry Gilliam, though I saw only one film from him, The Fisher King. I can't say I liked it, but it was a very unique film, and all of his other works are also unique, and apart from that he's an ex-Monty Python for God's sake, so he's an instant genious :D

theweatherman wrote:...(I was even impressed with what he did with Alien 3)...
I haven't seen any movie of the Alien Franchise, but it really sounds impressive if you look at who directed them. 4 well reknown directors, you would say it must be the best movie franchise ever...
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson, and Judd Apatow are my current favorites.
I also look forward to what Guillermo del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron, Richard Kelly, Martin McDonagh, and Michel Gondry direct.

I feel ashamed I left John Hughes off my list. I truly enjoyed sooooo many of his films! Planes, Trains and Automobiles easily being one of my Top 10 films. Ever.

Rest in Peace.

1. Paul Thomas Anderson
2. Christopher Nolan
3. Darren Aronofsky
4. Ethan and Joel Coen
5. David Lynch
6. Martin Scorsese
7. Quentin Tarantino
8. Wes Anderson
9. Clint Eastwood
10. Roman Polanski

What's your list like?
@sammyjankis88

No order.

Quentin Tarantinio
Martin Scorsese
Clint Eastwood
James Cameron
Peter Jackson
Christopher Nolan
Guy Rithcie
David Fincher
Hayao Miyazaki
Steven Spielberg

Robin wrote:1. Paul Thomas Anderson
2. Christopher Nolan
3. Darren Aronofsky
4. Ethan and Joel Coen
5. David Lynch
6. Martin Scorsese
7. Quentin Tarantino
8. Wes Anderson
9. Clint Eastwood
10. Roman Polanski

What's your list like?
Really, really difficult to rank them, but I agree with 8/10 of your mentions. Not a huge fan of Lynch of Polanski. PTA, Christopher Nolan and Darren Aronofsky are seriously the best trifecta of young filmmakers of this era (like Spielberg, Coppola and Scorcese of the 70s).

I don't really believe in ranking filmmakers. But, my top 10 list, in no real order, would be:

- Christopher Nolan
- PT Anderson
- Martin Scorsese
- Clint Eastwood
- Pedro Almodovar
- David Cronenberg
- Quentin Tarantino
- Werner Herzog
- Darren Aronofsky
- Steven Spielberg