Your Favorite Directors

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote: But then again why do we think this is more important that the final product of said directors? Bay seems to be able to sell his movies kinda ok, but does that make him a great director? Does he have a spot in the director Dream Team? Scorsese's Silence did a terrible job at the box office. It also had shitty marketing and heavy subject themes, but it also had sCoRsEsE's naaaaame and since he's an elite director in Lelek's flawless rating system, why didn't he sell this movie well?
It's probably because Scorsese is only a second-tier elite director. lol

Ruth wrote:
Bacon wrote:
These three only are first tier, since their names alone can sell a movie, you have a guarantee of critical acclaim and awards potential
And Wes Anderson's, PTA's, and the Coen brothers' names don't?
Probably not, if we think all of the general audiences are complete stupids (which they're not) who are there for hot chicks and explosions (which Nolan's movies don't even offer lol). Also nothing screams critical acclaim and awards potential than having the last name of Anderson (unless you're Paul WS)

But then again why do we think this is more important that the final product of said directors? Bay seems to be able to sell his movies kinda ok, but does that make him a great director? Does he have a spot in the director Dream Team? Scorsese's Silence did a terrible job at the box office. It also had shitty marketing and heavy subject themes, but it also had sCoRsEsE's naaaaame and since he's an elite director in Lelek's flawless rating system, why didn't he sell this movie well?

Because this is a shitty logic and we all should move on.
-Whispers-

I'm pretty sure this above poster might only be aware of a couple filmmakers to begin with lol. Otherwise who he lists and in their relative "worth" doesn't make any sense.

-Vader

Bacon wrote:
Ruth wrote: But then again why do we think this is more important that the final product of said directors? Bay seems to be able to sell his movies kinda ok, but does that make him a great director? Does he have a spot in the director Dream Team? Scorsese's Silence did a terrible job at the box office. It also had shitty marketing and heavy subject themes, but it also had sCoRsEsE's naaaaame and since he's an elite director in Lelek's flawless rating system, why didn't he sell this movie well?
If you read my post you'd have seen that I was only talking about modern directors. Not the classic geniuses like Scorsese or Spielberg.

So far your counterarguments are based on... not reading my posts in detail. I've mentioned every nitpick you had.
Vader182 wrote:-Whispers-

I'm pretty sure this above poster might only be aware of a couple filmmakers to begin with lol. Otherwise who he lists and in their relative "worth" doesn't make any sense.

-Vader
:lol: If only you knew

Bacon wrote:
Scorsese is a classic director so he's not the elite first tier nor the elite second tier. So he's not a Michael Jordan of the movie Dream Team, but he's still a classic. But since he has movies that didn't sell well, that sort of makes him 50/50 classic and below average. The BFG didn't explode in the box office so I'm pretty sure Spielberg is also no Jordan. They're all basically second tier average.

Also Chris Nolan's movies aren't always showered with awards (let's say, Interstellar), so he can't be an elite first tier director. He is an elite second tier with a little bit of average, so he doesn't have a spot in the Dream Team either.

I think I finally understand this rating thing pretty well.

Ruth wrote:
Bacon wrote:
Scorsese is a classic director so he's not the elite first tier nor the elite second tier. So he's not a Michael Jordan of the movie Dream Team, but he's still a classic. But since he has movies that didn't sell well, that sort of makes him 50/50 classic and below average. The BFG didn't explode in the box office so I'm pretty sure Spielberg is also no Jordan. They're all basically second tier average.

Also Chris Nolan's movies aren't always showered with awards (let's say, Interstellar), so he can't be an elite first tier director. He is an elite second tier with a little bit of average, so he doesn't have a spot in the Dream Team either.

I think I finally understand this rating thing pretty well.
I didn't know you're an aspiring comedian. You need practice, though.

But the Nolan bit made me laugh... especially your lack of knowledge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... terstellar
If only you went with The Dark Knight Rises :P tough luck

lmao ^

-Vader

LelekPL wrote: I didn't know you're an aspiring comedian. You need practice, though.
Seems like an inevitable thing since you just keep on providing all of that practicing material.

Bacon wrote:
These three only are first tier, since their names alone can sell a movie, you have a guarantee of critical acclaim and awards potential
And Wes Anderson's, PTA's, and the Coen brothers' names don't?
Not really, no.

Where does Alejandro fall into?

the garbage

-Vader