Your Favorite Directors

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
HorrorBiz wrote:
LelekPL wrote:
Allstar wrote:If Denis makes a film on the level or better than the first he's surpassed Nolan.
Nope but it will immediately put him in that elite group of modern filmmakers.

Nolan, Tarantino and Fincher so far are in a league of their own (excluding classic directors like Spielberg and Scorsese) and BR2049 will not put him in that category just yet.

However, it will put him in that second tier, along with both Andersons (and not the WS one :P ) or the Coens. I didn't think he was there until now. Even with the moderate success of Arrival, he still seemed like that indy darling, a little bit below Chazelle or McQueen, where his name is known by movie buffs but it's not a household name. But if this is a hit, he will blow past those two for sure.
In what world are the Coen brothers 'second tier' directors?
Lol. Also did he imply PTA is a second tier director?

Imagine actually thinking the Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, and PTA are all "second-tier" directors. :facepalm:

Gimme a break.

Bacon wrote:Imagine actually thinking the Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, and PTA are all "second-tier" directors. :facepalm:

Gimme a break.
lmao i thought he meant wes anderson but no, omg both andersons are second tier

kill me

Bacon wrote:Imagine actually thinking the Coen Brothers, Wes Anderson, and PTA are all "second-tier" directors. :facepalm:

Gimme a break.
Read the quote first. I said they're 'second tier' of ELITE directors!

They're not 'second tier' directors in general. They're WORLD-FUCKING-CLASS. But they're below Nolan, Tarantino and Fincher. These three only are first tier, since their names alone can sell a movie, you have a guarantee of critical acclaim and awards potential. Those three are basically (1a). They're like Michael Jordan among the Dream Team.

Andersons and Coens belong to that Dream Team of ELITE directors or (1b) if you will. That's what I meant by "second tier".

And then you have strong future candidates for that place like Chazelle or McQueen or (as of now) Villenueve (2)

Then you have some solid indy directors like David McKenzie or Jeff Nichols and solid studio directors like Abrams or Johnson (3) and (4)

Then you have the rest of your Snyders and Bays. And then some completely generic filmmakers... and later your Bolls and Wiseaus (5-???)

Just kill me now.

Next time include a disclaimer in your post for inaccuracies and outright falsification.

MyCocaine wrote:Next time include a disclaimer in your post for inaccuracies and outright falsification.
Another pretentious post about "falsification" when it comes to opinion. :lol:

These three only are first tier, since their names alone can sell a movie, you have a guarantee of critical acclaim and awards potential
And Wes Anderson's, PTA's, and the Coen brothers' names don't?

Bacon wrote:
These three only are first tier, since their names alone can sell a movie, you have a guarantee of critical acclaim and awards potential
And Wes Anderson's, PTA's, and the Coen brothers' names don't?
Probably not, if we think all of the general audiences are complete stupids (which they're not) who are there for hot chicks and explosions (which Nolan's movies don't even offer lol). Also nothing screams critical acclaim and awards potential than having the last name of Anderson (unless you're Paul WS)

But then again why do we think this is more important that the final product of said directors? Bay seems to be able to sell his movies kinda ok, but does that make him a great director? Does he have a spot in the director Dream Team? Scorsese's Silence did a terrible job at the box office. It also had shitty marketing and heavy subject themes, but it also had sCoRsEsE's naaaaame and since he's an elite director in Lelek's flawless rating system, why didn't he sell this movie well?

Because this is a shitty logic and we all should move on.

Ruth wrote:Because this is a shitty logic and we all should move on.
Because there's an exception to everything. Nobody said it's a "flawless system". I don't have a system. Obviously I just made it up on the spot to explain what "second tier" meant. Those numbers aren't something I gave more than a two-second thought. It's just an oversimplification for those who didn't get what I said and started nitpicking just one word.
Ruth wrote:Also nothing screams critical acclaim and awards potential than having the last name of Anderson (unless you're Paul WS)
I never said it doesn't. I just said that the first tier Elite does that AND makes films that are a success at the box office. They do both which isn't always the case with the Andersons.
Ruth wrote:Bay seems to be able to sell his movies kinda ok, but does that make him a great director? Does he have a spot in the director Dream Team?
No, he doesn't. I even mention him by name way below the elite. Read with comprehension.
Last edited by LelekPL on September 27th, 2017, 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.