The Imitation Game (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
i could now see him as Alan turing after seeing J Edgar. Hardy would be a great choice as well. Or Benedict Cumberbatch

oracle86 wrote: Leo just might get an Oscar for this.
We always say this.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:
oracle86 wrote: Leo just might get an Oscar for this.
We always say this.
Seeing as the success for J. Edgar hasn't been what many perceived it might be, I think Leo won't get the Oscar this year even if his performance deserves it. I think his best bet to get an Oscar might come through Django Unchained where he will have to put on a very different performance from anything we've seen him do before. However, will the Oscar be for a supporting role or a leading role?

Addicted2Movies wrote:
jibran wrote:
We always say this.
Seeing as the success for J. Edgar hasn't been what many perceived it might be, I think Leo won't get the Oscar this year even if his performance deserves it. I think his best bet to get an Oscar might come through Django Unchained where he will have to put on a very different performance from anything we've seen him do before. However, will the Oscar be for a supporting role or a leading role?

his role in django is supporting...i just wonder how hes going to be able to do it cause his approach is to justify peoples actions.

mchekhov wrote:
Addicted2Movies wrote:

his role in django is supporting...i just wonder how hes going to be able to do it cause his approach is to justify peoples actions.
Maybe he plans to change his approach :think: ?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051549?refCatId=13
J. Blakeson is in negotiations to direct Warner Bros. World War II codebreaking pic "The Imitation Game."

The project was considered one of the hottest spec scripts in town when WB acquired it last fall.

Graham Moore penned the work, based on the true story of English mathematician and logician Alan Turing, who helped crack the Enigma code during World War II.

Nora Grossman and Ido Ostrowsky will produce.

"Imitation Game" was recently named number one on The Black List. Warners acquired it with hopes Leonardo DiCaprio would play Turing.

It's unclear whether DiCaprio would still be able to do it after recently committing to "The Wolf of Wall Street" as his next pic. He's currently shooting "Django Unchained."

Blakeson most recently helmed and wrote "The Disappearance of Alice Creed."

Blakeson and Moore are repped by CAA. Blakeson is also repped by David Higham Associates and Bloom, Hergott, Diemer, Rosenthal, LaViolette, Feldman, Schenkman & Goodman.

Warner Bros. Is Letting Go of 'Imitation Game'
CAA is looking to find a new home now that Leonardo DiCaprio is out of the picture.

Warner Bros. is letting go of its splashy World War II title The Imitation Game.

The studio bought Graham Moore’s spec for seven figures last fall with the hopes of attaching Leonardo DiCaprio. Warners also brought J Blakeson onboard to direct in March.

But DiCaprio is no longer eyeing the lead in Imitation Game, which centers on British cryptographer Alan Turing, who broke several German codes that helped the Allies win the war. Later in life, Turing was prosecuted for being homosexual, which led to his suicide.

The project had a progress-to-production clause, which was one factor in the decision to let it slide. DiCaprio never formalizing his attachment was another, according to insiders. Without DiCaprio, Imitation Game had become a less likely fit for the studio, which is increasingly focused on tentpoles.

Sources say CAA, which reps Moore and Blakeson, is now trying to repackage and find a new home for Game, with Blakeson staying at the helm.

Though the true-life story has been around since Andrew Hodges’ book Alan Turing: The Enigma was published in 1983, screenwriter Moore was the first to crack an adaption, with his screenplay landing at the top of 2011’s Black List.

Moore still has another DiCaprio vehicle brewing at Warners, Erik Larson’s best-seller Devil in the White City.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ame-363756

Not really surprised. The script was good (not great) and it fell apart in the last act. They rushed the things that could've made the movie great IMO.

Benedict Cumberbatch in talks to take over the lead role
Benedict Cumberbatch’s next high profile role looks like it will be playing English mathematician Alan Turing in The Imitation Game, Graham Moore’s heralded screenplay that went from Warner Bros to Teddy Schwartman’s Black Bear Pictures. Headhunters helmer Morten Tyldum recently signed on to direct, and I hear it will be Cumberbatch (he’s in deep conversations but hasn’t yet signed a deal) who plays the genius who was most responsible for cracking the German “Enigma Code” during World War II that helped the Allies stave off defeat, and who would later be prosecuted by Britain for in the early 1950s for being a homosexual. Schwarzman producing along with Ampersand Pictures’ Nora Grossman and Ido Ostrowsky. Moore will be exec producer.

This is the 2011 Black List script that originally got set at Warner Bros with Leonardo DiCaprio expected to star. In what seems shocking today, the hero was forced to make a radical choice, and he chose chemical castration over prison. He was so demoralized that he eventually committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple. Black Bear is fully financing. With the helmer and Cumberbatch, I can’t imagine some distributor will jump on this Oscar-bait undertaking.

The script originally sold in a seven-figure spec deal to Warner Bros, when it appeared that Leonardo DiCaprio was interested in starring. The studio put J Blakeson on the project, but the deal had a quick trigger and the rights reverted back to the screenwriter, who then got the job of adapting The Devil In The White City for Warner Bros, which is being crafted for DiCaprio to play serial killer Dr. HH Holmes.

Cumberbatch, who came on the scene in the British series Sherlock, might be the hottest actor to cross the pond in recent memory. He’s currently playing Julian Assange in The Fifth Estate for DreamWorks, and is in the midst of The Hobbit trilogy (he plays a role and also voices Smaug the dragon); he’s got a big villain turn in Star Trek Into Darkness, and also stars in Twelve Years A Slave and August:Osage County. He’s repped by UTA and U.K.-based John Grant at Conway van Gelder Grant.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/benedic ... tion-game/

Good choice. I still think they need to fix the script a bit.