12 Years a Slave (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Miles Messervy wrote:
BroskiSabor wrote:
RyanRises wrote:Easily better than whatever space movie came out this year.
"Easily" is a stretch. They were both fantastic.
Initially I would've thought that as well, but it's going to be interesting how Gravity will fare over time. A few years from now when it's out of theaters and people are at home watching it for the first time on Blu-Ray, they won't get that immersive experience you'd get watching it in IMAX or even a regular theater. That's not really the film's fault of course, but that takes a way a significant part of what makes Gravity work, because it really does lean on visual spectacle more than anything else. 12 Years a Slave, on the other hand, will have very much the same impact whether you're watching it at home in standard definition or the biggest screen at your local multiplex, so despite Gravity being more "palatable," I have a hard time seeing it withstand the test of time the way 12 Years a Slave will.
I actually agree with you for the most part. It's only natural that such a visual film will have its value diminished over multiple viewings, but that doesn't means it's a far worse film than 12 Years a Slave. Also, I'm trying to base my opinion off the one viewing I've had of each at this point (maybe I am a little scared to see Gravity again because I know it might not be the same as I remember from my first viewing...), which is only fair.

Just saw this film last night. When ever I rate a film I try to do it from two perspectives, objectively (how well the film was directed, written, acted, filmed, etc) and subjectively (how much I personally enjoyed it) So here's my ratings:

Objectively: 10/10
Subjectively: 8/10

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:When ever I rate a film I try to do it from two perspectives, objectively (how well the film was directed, written, acted, filmed, etc) and subjectively (how much I personally enjoyed it)
So you're Virgo?

11072014 wrote:
MiracleSleeper2 wrote:When ever I rate a film I try to do it from two perspectives, objectively (how well the film was directed, written, acted, filmed, etc) and subjectively (how much I personally enjoyed it)
So you're Virgo?
Does he do the same thing?

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:
11072014 wrote:
So you're Virgo?
Does he do the same thing?
Yeah, pretty much.

Seeing it today!! So excited! :D

That whipping scene tho

Dodd wrote:
That whipping scene tho
Fassbender sealed the deal on a best supporting nom during this scene IMO.

Durden, do you think he'll win?

-Vader

Durden wrote:
Dodd wrote:
That whipping scene tho
Fassbender sealed the deal on a best supporting nom during this scene IMO.
I agree 100%
Going into the movie I didn't think it was possible for Fassbender to play a part in which audiences would hate him because he is such a likeable person, but boy was I wrong.

Vader182 wrote:Durden, do you think he'll win?

-Vader
Leto say hi.