12 Years a Slave (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
NFometer: 100%
Based on the Ratings of 8 Members
Average Score: 9.3/10

Positive:

Vader (10/10)
Rohan (10/10)
Law (9.5/10)
Broskisabor (9.5/10)
JediSunScreen (9/10)
George (9/10)
Miles Messervy (?/10)
Bootsy (?/10)

£

9.7/10 from me.

For one, I didn't really feel the passage of time and it did not at all feel like the story took place over the course of 12 years, 12 months perhaps, but it did not feel like over a decade.
I think that was meant on purpose
At the end when we see Solomon reuniting with his family that is the moment when we realize all the years that had passed

I think the music was VERY close to Inception. At times I thought it was literally taken from Inception's score. But I found myself happy that they went that route. Because that subtle sad theme, was absolutely perfect for this movie and the scenes.

shauner111 wrote:I think the music was VERY close to Inception. At times I thought it was literally taken from Inception's score. But I found myself happy that they went that route. Because that subtle sad theme, was absolutely perfect for this movie and the scenes.
I agree about the Inception-sounding score. I'm not really sure it fit the film and could have accomplished its goal better were it not so in-your-face at times. But, I thought the low-key moments of the film without that blaring score were great.

There are hints of Inception, but the vibe I got was something closer to The Assassination of Jesse James.

Forum Pro
Law
My favorite piece of the score is when it goes "brrmm brrmm brrmm" Like the beginning of Shutter Island, when they're approaching the island.

George wrote:There are hints of Inception, but the vibe I got was something closer to The Assassination of Jesse James.
Two of my favorite soundtracks ever.

It sounds like Time which sounds like The Thin Red Line, it's a never ending cycle with Zimmer.

-Vader

I say who cares, as long as it fits the mood. And in my opinion it did.