What is Your Favourite Michael Mann Film?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

What is Your Favourite Michael Mann Film?

Thief (1981)
2%
The Keep (1983)
No votes
Manhunter (1986)
4%
Last of the Mohicans (1992)
7%
Heat (1995)
51%
The Insider (1999)
7%
Ali (2001)
2%
Collateral (2004)
19%
Miami Vice (2006)
2%
Public Enemies (2009)
7%

Total votes: 57

My vote goes to heat, followed by Collateral and Last of the Mohicans in a tie.

Though I'm about to watch Thief, so this may change.

Heat, yeah. Followed closely by The Insider, Collateral and Public Enemies.

Probably Heat.

But I'm not really a Mann fan, maybe cause I haven't seen most of his movies.

Trust me, this question has kept me up many of nights. All of his films are amazing. Its a toss up between The Insider, Collateral and Heat for me. If your a true Michael Mann fan you will understand that Miami Vice was visually one of his best films, its just a shame it lacked in character performance and story.
Why you lurking my page brah?

Heat, The Insider, then Collateral, the rest of his films I don't care for. Public Enemies was one of my biggest disappointments ever.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Public Enemies was one of my biggest disappointments ever.
I loved it. Like, really loved it.

Mason01 wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Public Enemies was one of my biggest disappointments ever.
I loved it. Like, really loved it.
....but like, what about it? The actual narrative is paint by numbers and they made no effort to actually explore the more interesting points in the book upon which the film was based. It's a vague cat and mouse game with little danger, barely any of the characters have any depth, and it looks like it was shot on any random-ass camera you picked up from best buy, 100% without a dynamic, interesting image. I realize that was deliberate, but you can't change the fact it looks like garbage. Additionally, Johnny was so dissatisfied with how Mann was handling the film (how he was shooting it, etc), he refused to speak to him as much as possible through filming.

-Vader

Well for one, I adore those type of period features, which makes me very biased I suppose. Secondly, I found Bale, Depp and Cottilard to have amazing chemistry on screen, to which many will disagree. I loved the soundtrack, the dialogue, the performances, the action sequences and the opening bank heist scene was a superb viewing pleasure. I understand that the film was shot poorly, but it didn't deduct terribly much from my personal experience. I think I like it so much (I rate it a nine every time, I think, hit or miss) because, as I said, the period in which it's set and the real life of Dillinger and the surrounding characters, I've had a real passion for them for many years so the film just completes my "love" for the real life figures of history.

:)

Heat, they just don't make Heist films like that anymore.

Mason01 wrote:Well for one, I adore those type of period features, which makes me very biased I suppose. Secondly, I found Bale, Depp and Cottilard to have amazing chemistry on screen, to which many will disagree. I loved the soundtrack, the dialogue, the performances, the action sequences and the opening bank heist scene was a superb viewing pleasure. I understand that the film was shot poorly, but it didn't deduct terribly much from my personal experience. I think I like it so much (I rate it a nine every time, I think, hit or miss) because, as I said, the period in which it's set and the real life of Dillinger and the surrounding characters, I've had a real passion for them for many years so the film just completes my "love" for the real life figures of history.

:)
Unlike a lot of people, I don't like things more because I'm partial to them, I just get more disappointed when they aren't of quality. The soundtrack, while good, was really poorly timed and came in very awkwardly during a number of key scenes (a complaint of many people for the film, and to a far lesser extent The Insider as well), the action sequences were occasionally awesome-ish, but how they were shot... help me. I need a proper image, proper sound to actually enjoy the film on an actual cinematic level. Why? Because that's what film is, a visual and audial (is that a word?) medium, so if you fuck that up... well, then you've basically defeated the entire purpose of the medium in which you've told your story, meaning it's 100% Mann's fault the film turned out how it did, and his ridiculous decisions ruined what would have been a wonderful picture.

They had okay chemistry, and they gave it their best, but the poor editing of the narrative removed nearly any emotionality from the film.... things just 'happened' and it was like 'insert bank heist here' 'insert this character doing this here' instead of one scene building off of another. You could straight out take out most of the heists and escapes and the film could play out...preeeetty much the same. That's damn weak storytelling.

-Vader