What is Your Favourite Michael Mann Film?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

What is Your Favourite Michael Mann Film?

Thief (1981)
2%
The Keep (1983)
No votes
Manhunter (1986)
4%
Last of the Mohicans (1992)
7%
Heat (1995)
51%
The Insider (1999)
7%
Ali (2001)
2%
Collateral (2004)
19%
Miami Vice (2006)
2%
Public Enemies (2009)
7%

Total votes: 57

Shit, I guess I better revisit Collateral soon. I suppose Heat soon too, though I've seen it a bunch of times.

-Vader

It's a close race between HEAT and THE INSIDER for me, but THE INSIDER wins. It just fires on all cylinders imo, and I think it has held up over time better than HEAT has.

Spammers are hilarious.

Heat
Collateral
The Insider
Ali
The Last of the Mohicans
Public Enemies
Miami Vice
Manhunter (really need to rewatch this one)
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

Collateral

Too hard of a question. Mann is easily my fav living American director. Thats right, I said it. Deal with it NF :P
Why you lurking my page brah?

Wow, I'm really the first one to vote for Manhunter? There are only two films in existence involving Hannibal Lecter that are worth the celluloid they're printed on, and that's one of them.

Amelia wrote:Wow, I'm really the first one to vote for Manhunter? There are only two films in existence involving Hannibal Lecter that are worth the celluloid they're printed on, and that's one of them.
I love Manhunter too, it's a close second. I slightly prefer it to Silence of the Lambs.

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Amelia wrote:Wow, I'm really the first one to vote for Manhunter? There are only two films in existence involving Hannibal Lecter that are worth the celluloid they're printed on, and that's one of them.
I love Manhunter too, it's a close second. I slightly prefer it to Silence of the Lambs.
Agreed, in some ways. I actually like Brian Cox's interpretation of Lecter slightly better than Hopkins' (er, Controversial Opinions time, I guess?), because he's so low-key; he seems like he might actually be a real, and probably very effective, psychiatrist (I love that throwaway moment wherein he brusquely tells Will to "make an appointment"), whereas Hopkins is so overtly creepy that I can't imagine anybody ever wanting to come back to his office for a follow-up session.

(Mind you, this is probably a bit of an unfair comparison, as Silence isn't trying to make Lecter seem realistic; it's going for a fairy-tale-boogeyman effect, and on that level Hopkins works very well. Still, I do prefer Brian Cox.)

Amelia wrote:
Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Agreed, in some ways. I actually like Brian Cox's interpretation of Lecter slightly better than Hopkins' (er, Controversial Opinions time, I guess?), because he's so low-key; he seems like he might actually be a real, and probably very effective, psychiatrist (I love that throwaway moment wherein he brusquely tells Will to "make an appointment"), whereas Hopkins is so overtly creepy that I can't imagine anybody ever wanting to come back to his office for a follow-up session.

(Mind you, this is probably a bit of an unfair comparison, as Silence isn't trying to make Lecter seem realistic; it's going for a fairy-tale-boogeyman effect, and on that level Hopkins works very well. Still, I do prefer Brian Cox.)
I agree 100%.