The Flash (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
They already lost my support after JL. I don't know how they're going to do well anymore

That's anticlimactic

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 6:23 pm
You've gotta be fucking kidding me.
inb4 nomis defends this hiring.

I have absolutely zero idea why anyone would care about this franchise as a whole anymore.

if your first flash film is flashpoint, you're gonna have a bad time.

I feel like if they wanted a comedic tone, Lord and Miller would have been a better duo.

But like the dudes who directed Vacation and Game Night? Seriously?

Why does DC keep fucking up like this? This should have been such a slam dunk/easy decision. So many choices and this is what they chose. :judge:

Pratham wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 11:40 pm
You're so right. I'm still confused on why the first Flash film is this.

xWhereAmI? wrote:
January 17th, 2018, 6:36 pm
Pratham wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 11:40 pm
You're so right. I'm still confused on why the first Flash film is this.
It's kind of a typical DC/WB move if you look at the way they've rushed setting up their whole "DCEU" universe. Why not just rush this one too :lol:

Lol the Vacation guys are gonna direct this? Remember when Ben Affleck was supposedly attached to this project? Yeah, didn't think so.

I think this once again shows how nervous and desperate the executives at WB are because they're really just throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks. I don't think after the previous artistic fiascos of the DCEU that a lot of people are interested in working on this DCEU anymore so they randomly decided to hire these guys. They are desperate to imitate the MCU (because apparently noone likes to watch serious and/or dark superhero films so they add a bunch of jokes?). All they can see are the dollar bills that the MCU is making. They want people who have directed a big film before (which these guys have, just not a good one) but who at the same time do not have enough influence to speak up whenever the studio decides to interfere further down the line.

I liked Wonder Woman but that film had its share of problems too. However, I am glad that they trusted the director enough to make a good film but the director had made Monster previously, a well-received, serious and artistic film that won Charlize Theron her Best Actress Oscar so there was at least the impression going in that the director was someone capable of delivering high quality filmmaking and that the studio was championing creative artistic voices. This flies in the face of that because what, besides maybe the script for Spiderman Homecoming, have these guys done to be given this big of a task to fulfill that even a lot of well-seasoned directors might find intimidating, given the nature of the comicbook fandom and the investment people have in these characters?

This seems like a big step in the wrong direction. What this reminds me of is the time when WB hired Joel Schumacher after Batman Returns didn't turn out to be as big of a financial success as they had hoped...and look what we got! The character of Barry Allen was not a comedic character and yet they made him the comic relief in Justice League...what? Why? Oh because The Avengers had a bunch of jokes in it so they needed to copy that. And now they're going to hire the directors of Vacation to direct this? There is a clear lack of concern for quality in the DCEU and the audience deserves better tbh.