Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm staying away from reviews and such until I see this. Virgo, you doing an NF meter?

Absolutely. It's a Villeneuve film after all.£

Ruth wrote:lmfao mycocaine is full of shit

i gotta say while i'm still "high" on this, the cinematography is orgasmic
The lavish colour palette and production design is seducing but I wouldn't call it his best work.

Also, the mystery in which the entire plot rest upon is staggeringly uninspired. Painfully obvious with a ta-da to finish you off with for no reason than just that. An admirable attempt on the screenwriters part to disguise their incompetence.

Feel weirdly disappointed and empty at the ending... but still a brilliant film

Thoughts:
Felt BR was more about the ideas, less about the story. BR2049 was more about the story less about the ideas. I'm not saying BR was a deep film, it just ends on a good note which concludes the themes of the film: ''Don't worry about your existence and just live life'' The themes of 2049 were more difficult to follow but I loved the Pinocchio parallels.

Just got back, it's pretty damn great but falls short of amazing. MyCo is right in a sense that narratively it isn't lean enough, falls on some annoying contrivances and lingers on certain unneeded elements way too long. It lacks a focus on specific themes. The atmosphere is thick and immersing, flabbergasting set design, and use of set audio which awestruck me. The soundtrack is surprisingly great but has its "blockbuster" bombastic moments which sometimes kills the mood and tension, if this doesn't win the Oscar for special effects I will eat my hand.

Also it is slow, really, really slow. Which I usually dig, but it felt exceedingly so.

Just came back from the theater. Just wow. What a experience.
Yeah, can't say to much because of the plot, which is revealed in the first 10 or 15min and it's not in the trailers. Thought the second act dragged a little, but the third act compensate everything. Doesn't feel like The Force Awakens, where is basically A New Hope again, this is really a sequel to the story. Just a few things:
-I wanna marry the cinematography in this movie. The third act is the most beautiful of the whole movie.
-Definitely a slow burner. The atmosphere is more important than the action. The trailers sells you a different movie.
-There's a reason Ford is using such basics clothes.
- Sylvia Hoeks is no Rutger Hauer, but she's a badass.

Didn't see it in IMAX HD 4K Hyper Mega Awesome, but if you can you should definitely watch it.

I really really enjoyed it although I don't buy the Oscar chants just yet (I need to see the competition). Technically it does look great but falls short on every level compared to the original. I get that BR is one of the toughest acts to follow but I also wouldn't even put it in Deakins' top 3. The shots are staged briliantly but the atmosphere of a classic noir is gone. The shadows almost aren't a factor in this film. As for the music, it doesn't hold a candle to Vangelis. It's good for the most part but definitely too bombastic for my taste and at moments it suffers the same issues as Batman's theme in BvS where it's just "loud noises" (not Zimmer's best year). As for the visual effects, when it comes to human CGI, I think they've made a couple of steps backwards. From the fantastic job they've done on Kurt Russell in Guardians 2, this is more like Princess Leia in Rogue One. Very creepy (though might have been intended that way, judging from the context of the scene)

Thematically I feel it is very rich. Storywise, it's an improvement over the original, although I must agree with MyCocaine that
the twist is obvious from a mile away. To the point that I'm still questioning whether it was intended as a twist or not. Gosling's character journey seems to suggest that it is, but it's obviousness is pretty staggering.
Acting-wise, though nobody reaches Hauer levels, a lot of the cast brought their A-game. Ford is great in the limited amount of screen time he has. Gosling has a stoic part and he does it ok. Sylvia Hoeks is the clear standout. She blows every other performer out of the water in this. Ana de Armas is another standout, while Mackenzie Davis also made her mark on the film. Jared Leto annoyed the fuck out of me again. I really enjoyed his performances in a couple of movies, like Dallas Buyers Club and especially Fight Club (where I enjoy watching his face bashed in), but most of the time I just can't stand the guy. I don't know what it is about him but I always feel like he's trying too much.

The films strength, like I said, lies in its thematic richness, that not only is faithful to the original but also further develops and broadens it by adding characters like Joi and the major storyline. Maybe not as poetic, but definitely as intriguing and at times, hypnotising. The world of Blade Runner also was further developed and it's a fascinating place to visit.

Overall I'd give it a solid 8/10

denny did us proud and deakins was life-affirming

it’s very good

maybe a hair too long (though that could be because i did the double-feature thing)

need time to gather thoughts

I was so fucking into this movie until the third act.
Most of 2049 has this movie magic fairy tail metaphysical journey thing going on .....until it turns out none of the matters because it's actually about a ..revolution???

And something about grand plans by Wallace that end up going nowhere?

By introducing two "big scale" world-affecting super plotty elements super late into the running time, to leave those totally unresolved, then "go back" to the minimalist dreamy storytelling for the entire climax really diminished impact.

Maybe the anti-climax is part of what the movie's saying and that'll be clear on 2nd/3rd viewings, but this feels dirtier than that. Pure sequel bait, ala Iron Man 2. But for BLADE RUNNER, this hard-art noir sci thing to do this? It felt like a breach of contract with the audience that left me totally disoriented.

Which is a shame because the climax itself is mostly great without that garbage.

-Vader