Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MyCocaine wrote:Leonardo DiCaprio is the only exception these days.
Pretty much.

BR:2049 has already made half of its production budget back in the first weekend when accounting for foreign box office. It has still yet to open in various major markets, such as China. This will turn a profit, just unfortunate U.S. audiences aren't helping to get it there.

It doesn't work like that, especially with not one but three production houses.

I figure it'll be big in places like Japan if only because of how much media (anime in particular) was inspired by the original.

Skyab23 wrote:BR:2049 has already made half of its production budget back in the first weekend when accounting for foreign box office. It has still yet to open in various major markets, such as China. This will turn a profit, just unfortunate U.S. audiences aren't helping to get it there.
You're getting ahead of yourself. This will turn a profit once it goes past $400M.

Skyab23 wrote:BR:2049 has already made half of its production budget back in the first weekend when accounting for foreign box office. It has still yet to open in various major markets, such as China. This will turn a profit, just unfortunate U.S. audiences aren't helping to get it there.
Studios don't see near the amount of box office revenue from foreign theaters as they do domestic ones. If China can carry the movie over the $300m mark but it still doesn't pass $100m in the States, it won't have made money.

It will after home video, but it's in danger of not making money in theaters.

What's so extraordinary about DiCaprio's successful run ever since Shutter Island, is that most of those films that he appeared in, are the kind of unreasonably expensive stuff that you usually have low expectation from in terms of profit making. And they sell like blockbusters. lol.

People like The Rock or Kevin Hart also sell tickets but only if they appear in popular genres like action or comedy performing the roles that are expected of them.£

Loved it my film of 2017 and although I think the original is a 5 star masterpiece I preferred this just slightly.

Every frame is a work of art, just incredible.

10/10

2/3 of the way through this movie it was my favorite film of the year and maybe in my top 10 of all time. But then they
introduce Deckard for the last third and focus on him which lost my interest. I never much cared for Deckard in the first one and I'm not much a fan of it either. K was a much more interesting character to me. I also found the main story with K to be very intriguing. If they focused on K and left Deckard out then this would be an all timer.
7.5/10

The audience for the new Blade Runner was overwhelmingly men over the age of 25. They marketed the movie pretty much only for those people with Gosling, Ford, and Leto.

They're going to have the same exact problem with Dune unless they make it appeal to a wider audience. (Dune made $30 million in 1984 and Blade Runner made $32 million in 1982. Star Wars made about 10x that money in '77.)

That's why there's some gender flipping going on in some films, like the inclusion of Furiosa in Fury Road. Or Rey in the new Star Wars. Too often the roles for women are nearly non-existent, underutilized, and/or underwritten (and undermarketed).
According to PostTrack, males over 25 represented 50% of the audience and females over 25 were 27%, while males under 25 represented 15% of moviegoers and females under 25 were 8%.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-o ... 202583660/
Last edited by MagnarTheGreat on October 8th, 2017, 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.