Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Rohan wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 12:18 pm
The regular steelbook (2D) is back in stock. It's the 4K steelbook I'm waiting for.
It's in stock online. Not in store. Not paying $30 + shipping costs.

Bacon wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 1:49 pm
Rohan wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 12:18 pm
The regular steelbook (2D) is back in stock. It's the 4K steelbook I'm waiting for.
It's in stock online. Not in store. Not paying $30 + shipping costs.
I don't think it will be available in stores any time soon. Maybe a few copies (there are 3 in a BBY store that's close to me). Those few will be gone by end of the day or this weekend I'm sure. I'd get it online if I were you and deal with the shipping costs. Or, wait another month or two, see if it's going to be back in stores. That's what happened with 'Dunkirk' steelbook. I pre-ordered mine, but now there are like 10-15 steelbooks sitting on the shelf. I'm waiting for BBY to put the 4K steelbook back in stock.

I was kinda impressed to see this completely and totally sold out at my local stores. I've never seen that in my town.

Cilogy wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 4:39 pm
I was kinda impressed to see this completely and totally sold out at my local stores. I've never seen that in my town.
Are you buying it in blu-ray or 4K? I ask since 4K often only sends a couple copies per store.

PS this is a reference disk.

-Vader

got the 4K through Amazon

just in time for me to leave the country lol

Vader182 wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Cilogy wrote:
Are you buying it in blu-ray or 4K? I ask since 4K often only sends a couple copies per store.

-Vader
Forgive my ignorance. What is a reference disk?

Bacon wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 6:56 pm
Vader182 wrote:
January 26th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Cilogy wrote:

-Vader
Forgive my ignorance. What is a reference disk?
Reference discs as far as I know are discs with the best audio/video quality to test for your home theater.

Good interview with the Telegraph about BR 2049 and the more commercial approach Denis will likely take when adapting Dune to the bigscreen. Seems that with some time and distance he feels he may have gone a little too far with BR 2049. Seems he was also not very happy with how secretive the marketing department was with the storyline.

Choice quotes:

“When Denis Villeneuve first showed Blade Runner 2049 to Ridley Scott, he wasn’t sure exactly what he had. But he knew he had something. He had spent months paring an hour and 15 minutes off his initial, four-hour rough cut of the film – a belated sequel to Scott’s own monumental science-fiction/film noir hybrid, about a detective hunting lifelike androids in a desolate future Los Angeles.”

“By the time of that test screening, nothing else seemed dispensable. And though Scott would later grumpily describe the 163-minute version as “way too f------ long”, saying he would have trimmed another half-hour from it, the studio executives were more warily upbeat.”

Villeneuve recalls one of his producers’ gut reactions word for word: “The lights came up, and he turned around and said, ‘We’ve just made the most expensive art house movie in cinema history.’”

“Let’s just say it would not be a good idea for me to make a movie like that twice,” he chuckles, in mellowly accented English. “When you’re working on a film you’re in a bubble, and it was only when I came out that I realised we had made a monster.”
I'm so glad this film exists. This truly is the best reality.

Agreed. I don't care if we get another one but this film complements the original in many ways and the fact we got this one as good as it is just plain rocks. Especially since it isn't setting up a universe or relying on a sequel to flesh it out.

The fact the bluray steelbook looks better than the 4K steelbook has reignited my depression.