Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
shauner111 wrote:I can't think of a more logical reaction.

This movie is incredible. Already one of my favorites of the decade.
Rational would be to maybe tell him to not freak out or something.
Hey dude, that's me. Chill.

If she told him to calm down it would be putting herself at risk and as such, the future of all replicants in danger as well. Hence her crying, knowing what he's thinking and knowing she can't do anything about it.

Bacon wrote:
If she told him to calm down it would be putting herself at risk and as such, the future of all replicants in danger as well. Hence her crying, knowing what he's thinking and knowing she can't do anything about it.
If she knew she was at risk then lying seems more logical than tell him that they are real. She confirms her own existence instead of denying! Doesn't get riskier

Lionheart wrote:
Bacon wrote:
If she knew she was at risk then lying seems more logical than tell him that they are real. She confirms her own existence instead of denying! Doesn't get riskier
Except (and they never really go into this heavily, but it's possible) they had set him up as a decoy. They wanted him to believe he was the child, be discovered/killed, and erase any search that could have gone on. They could have set him up as a red herring for the LAPD to chase (hence the "twins" being in the computer) and when she saw he had her memories, she realized that he was the one they had chosen to be the decoy.

Bacon wrote:
If she wasn't Deckard's daughter, that means that she knows what he is. That's a big deal. Like Joshi was saying, the knowledge of a replicant child could break the perspective of everything. She would probably know he was going to be hunted and such just like he did. She also seems to understand the importance and beauty of memories and how revolutionary it is for a replicant like K to have one.

If she's Deckard's daughter, that's one of the first (and possibly only) big memories she remembers and seeing it reenacted probably reminded her of the life she wishes she could have outside a glass dome.

I really don't see how you people can say her reaction is unrealistic.
In the case that he is Deckard's son, the sensible thing would have been to warn him about that. She has spent God knows how long time in that dome, and is clearly thrilled to get a visitor who is interested in her and what she does.

If she sees the memories and realize they are hers, it's only natural that she would have some type of reaction to K shouting. Yes she is overwhelmed, but if you just found out your whole life is a lie, wouldn't you want answers?

To me, it makes the most sense only if she realize the memories are implants (and possibly from a replicant child), but not knowing it's actually hers. That makes her simply react to real memories and getting overwhelmed by it.

LelekPL wrote:
I can see some similarity between the two but mostly with the public perception of the ending. "We didn't need to see that" "I would have prefered it to be open-ended".

Whatever the case may be some people thought the endings to these films are ambiguous and I cannot fathom why would anyone think that's the case. Bruce is clearly alive in TDKR. All the other scenes point to it, so making it ambiguous makes no sense. Deckard is also going to meet his daughter. What else was supposed to happen. He gets a heart attack opening the door? I get that with Blade Runner people had other, more reasonable, complaints like that the ending should focus on K, since that's what the movie was ultimately about. But the original also doesn't end with Roy's death. It ends with Deckard and Rachael running away. I think it's a nice touch to see Deckard with his daughter because of it.
Your whole post is a spoiler, man.
Last edited by Master Virgo on October 16th, 2017, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoiler

The film lost a lot of its power upon rewatching it, due to knowing the twist.
In my first viewing, I kept on thinking why K didn't tell Deckard directly "I'm your son", during the entire Las Vegas sequence. I felt like that reveal was what kept the suspense going. But in my second viewing, I knew he wasn't the son, and most of that suspense was gone. I also noticed how they tried to evade revealing the gender of the child by saying "my child" or "your child", but most people would just say "my daughter" or "your son".
I did appreciate the scene in Wallace's chamber a lot more.
In my first viewing, I kept on waiting for that scene to be over, since I felt like it stalled the narrative. But in my second viewing, I appreciated the scene a lot more since I no longer had the impulse to finish the narrative. 2049's exploration of its themes is the strongest in that scene.

Sanchez wrote:
In the case that he is Deckard's son, the sensible thing would have been to warn him about that. She has spent God knows how long time in that dome, and is clearly thrilled to get a visitor who is interested in her and what she does.

If she sees the memories and realize they are hers, it's only natural that she would have some type of reaction to K shouting. Yes she is overwhelmed, but if you just found out your whole life is a lie, wouldn't you want answers?

To me, it makes the most sense only if she realize the memories are implants (and possibly from a replicant child), but not knowing it's actually hers. That makes her simply react to real memories and getting overwhelmed by it.
1. If he was Deckard's son, she wouldn't know that that was Deckard's son. So you're saying she should warn him about what to do next, right? She does warn him about the memories being real by saying THEY'RE REAL and not overreacting outside of crying when he freaks out. What is she supposed to do? Tell him how to survive the LAPD from catching him? That'd be a feat considering she's spent her life in a dome.

2. Why would she have some kind of reaction to K's shouting? She knows what he's thinking and she can't help him with anything. And if you're saying her life is a lie (which I hope you're not), her life isn't a lie.

Like, nothing you're saying really makes sense.

I realize some parts was poorly worded, yes. I should probably watch it again before getting way into this type of discussion.

I meant her life is a lie as in nobody has told her that she is the first person in the world to be born from a replicant. That seems to me like something you would want to know.

Or are you saying she knew that before her interaction with K? Gotta clear that up first.

Sanchez wrote:
I realize some parts was poorly worded, yes. I should probably watch it again before getting way into this type of discussion.

I meant her life is a lie as in nobody has told her that she is the first person in the world to be born from a replicant. That seems to me like something you would want to know.

Or are you saying she knew that before her interaction with K? Gotta clear that up first.
I figured she knew who she was and why she was really in the dome. Forgive me if that isn't correct or the common theory getting spread around.