Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
antovolk wrote:Out now on Digital.
What did you make of the way Blade Runner 2049 was received?
Ridley Scott [Whispers] I have to be careful what I say. I have to be careful what I say. It was fucking way too long. Fuck me! And most of that script’s mine.
http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-s ... hoots.html
LOL I don't even know what to say about that.

Well at least he's not a bitter old man.

Nah, it ain't way too long. It's perfect.

For me, 2049 is better than the original. I admire everything that Blade Runner ultimately influenced after its release, and I'm a sucker for big dystopian cities with beautiful colours, but there are moments when it's devoid of emotion when I'm supposed to be feeling the pain. The third act becomes a Horror house movie, and when a movie decides to confuse what I should be feeling, it is utterly alienating. Noir is such a tricky genre with me; the aesthetic pleases me, but it's all style over substance. Feel free to challenge my opinion with that as I am open to being persuaded. I've seen Blade Runner probably 7 times and it has different meaning for me every time I got back and watch it, but it only took me one viewing of 2049 for me to fall in love. There is so much more going on emotionally for these new set of characters as well as an undercurrent of emotion at work continuing from the first movie. As far as length goes, it could have been a tighter movie and not have as many lingering shots to make up that runtime, but Villenueve is such a master at creating tension even within those pauses during dialogue, allowing us time to digest narrative revelations.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:Lmao

His original felt twice the length
No.

He’s going fucking senile.

I know I'm biased cuz I'm a hater of the original, but isn't one of major criticisms levied at the film that it feels really slow and/or long?

(but yes 2049 is better)

denis be like

AsianVersionOfET wrote:He’s going fucking senile.
Lol, cranky uncensored Scott is best Scott.

That whole interview is absolutely brilliant. Also confirms that the whole thing with
the through line of the two films being -
Tyrell wanting to experiment with replicant reproduction and creating Deckard and Rachael as part of that
was him

antovolk wrote:
AsianVersionOfET wrote:He’s going fucking senile.
Lol, cranky uncensored Scott is best Scott.

That whole interview is absolutely brilliant. Also confirms that the whole thing with
the through line of the two films being -
Tyrell wanting to experiment with replicant reproduction and creating Deckard and Rachael as part of that
was him
Agree.
It's one of a few things that are still consistent with Ridley.His blunt Northern humour.