Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Twist or not, I don't care if I saw it coming or not...I thought it was executed well and the end does not betray the scene that's earlier in the film. Her reaction still makes sense with or without the "twist".

Forum Pro
I didn't think her reaction made sense either way, but that's just me.

I'm guess I'm just too dumb for the film then.

But I still enjoyed it, despite the almost overt simplicity in parts. And the length. And the fact that I still could not understand what Leto's character was talking about most of the time. Fantastic effects, fantastic music, fantastic Deakinography.

still 8/10 for me

Her entire life is literally inside a glass bell, her job is to create replicant memories, which means she needs to be quite imaginative, artistic soul. After she sees something genuine after a long time of course she feels overwhelmed by emotions. If you're watching the movie for the first time and aren't thinking about the identity of a missplaced DNA sample but rather K's journey of self discovery your only prevalent thought during that particular sequence should be the obvious one, she feels saddened by the scene that just occured before her. She's basically Werther. Upon re-visiting the scene you understand her reaction even more deeply. It's not just that she's seeing a real memory that was installed into this poor guy in front of her, it is also her memory. It's multilayered and, again, much of it thanks to actress' subtle performance.
Edit: her name is Carla Juri damnit

Cilogy wrote: And the fact that I still could not understand what Leto's character was talking about most of the time.
I don't think anyone liked the philosophical crap he was spewing.

LelekPL wrote:
Cilogy wrote: And the fact that I still could not understand what Leto's character was talking about most of the time.
I don't think anyone liked the philosophical crap he was spewing.
It's just basic Bible references. I liked his mannerisms though. Wouldn't work for me if his eyes were normal. And then there's the uncomfortable clicking sounds made by the sensors.

m4st4 wrote:
Her entire life is literally inside a glass bell, her job is to create replicant memories, which means she needs to be quite imaginative, artistic soul. After she sees something genuine after a long time of course she feels overwhelmed by emotions. If you're watching the movie for the first time and aren't thinking about the identity of a missplaced DNA sample but rather K's journey of self discovery your only prevalent thought during that particular sequence should be the obvious one, she feels saddened by the scene that just occured before her. She's basically Werther. Upon re-visiting the scene you understand her reaction even more deeply. It's not just that she's seeing a real memory that was installed into this poor guy in front of her, it is also her memory. It's multilayered and, again, much of it thanks to actress' subtle performance.
Edit: her name is Carla Juri damnit
:thumbup:

Sanchez wrote:I didn't think her reaction made sense either way, but that's just me.
If she wasn't Deckard's daughter, that means that she knows what he is. That's a big deal. Like Joshi was saying, the knowledge of a replicant child could break the perspective of everything. She would probably know he was going to be hunted and such just like he did. She also seems to understand the importance and beauty of memories and how revolutionary it is for a replicant like K to have one.

If she's Deckard's daughter, that's one of the first (and possibly only) big memories she remembers and seeing it reenacted probably reminded her of the life she wishes she could have outside a glass dome.

I really don't see how you people can say her reaction is unrealistic.

Off course it plays like a twist. An inelegant one (although I only assumed it wasn't him).

I can't think of a more logical reaction.

This movie is incredible. Already one of my favorites of the decade.