Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
FAN-fucking-tastic! It had me on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. There were so many levels to this. I’m still trying to process it. The visuals, the acting, the freakin script and dialogue are top notch. This was excellent sci-fi. I need to see it again because I know there’s more there than what I took in. The meta commentary though about humanity and free will and happiness. Robin Wright was so compelling. I really dug her character. Ana de Armas was captivating, and I think this may be Ryan Gosling’s and Harrison Ford’s best work. There's only one scene that had me like "Uh, wtf, please stop." LOL. But other than that, I really really enjoyed this movie. Director Denis Villeneuve is a genius. Mind blown!

10 out of 10 for me. That’s all I got.

...nup. Interesting failure.

9/10 for the NF Meter.

It's fascinating how this film will stand the test of time. I enjoyed it but I think there are a lot of people who try to be extra careful not to be too negative about it, considering the original's initial negative reception and its current masterpiece status. I wonder how the first reactions to this will differ in a couple of years.
Last edited by LelekPL on October 6th, 2017, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

again, i think it’s really good, but because i doubled featured, i can’t help but feel like it does nothing as well as the original. maybe that’s not fair, and i need to let it sit on its own a little bit, but that’s where i’m at right now

i’ll have to see if i can get a second viewing in at some point

this movie shoulda been made 20 years ago, the thematic content isn't as interesting anymore

Michaelf2225 wrote:again, i think it’s really good, but because i doubled featured, i can’t help but feel like it does nothing as well as the original. maybe that’s not fair, and i need to let it sit on its own a little bit, but that’s where i’m at right now

i’ll have to see if i can get a second viewing in at some point
It's The Two Jakes, basically.

Same on double feature: It's not a bad movie by any means, not even close, but it's not the original. Might need to see it again later without the original in mind for a clearer picture.

LelekPL wrote:It's fascinating how this film will stand the test of time. I enjoyed it but I think there are a lot of people who try to be extra careful not to be too negative about it, considering the original's initial negative reception and its current masterpiece status. I wonder how the first reactions to this will differ in a couple of years.
Yeah I can definitely see that. But for me, I think it's just a great film. I'm not afraid to admit that the first Blade Runner took a couple of turns before it worked for me. I wonder too, if perhaps being a fan of the original makes some people more critical or less critical of this one. I do wonder if my adoration of the first one, made me more open to accepting this one. But yeah, loved it.
elemunt wrote:this movie shoulda been made 20 years ago, the thematic content isn't as interesting anymore
Perhaps I loved this so much because the themes of what it means to be a human and how much free will humans have resonate so strongly with me. The ideas explored here don’t have to be new to excite me. There are just some tropes I can watch over and over again, especially when they're presented in cool new ways.