Spider-Man 4 on Hold, Raimi "Hates" Script

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
From FirstShowing:

This sounds bad. We wrote a few stories at the end of last year about Spider-Man 4 being put on hold because Sony and Sam Raimi were fighting about the script for the fourth movie. Sony wants another record-breaking blockbuster while Raimi wants to get "back to basics" and make a movie that everyone actually enjoys this time. Well, Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood has now confirmed that Spider-Man 4 is indeed on hold and it may not even make its May 2011 release date. "We will be extending the production hiatus on the film. The studio is firmly committed to this franchise but, for us, the script must come first."
If you thought thinks were bad last year, apparently they've only gotten much worse. Drew McWeeny of HitFix says: "Since that first story ran, I've been hearing some really terrible things about what's going on between Sam Raimi, the studio, and the writers, and I've been starting to wonder if there's any chance they can reach an agreement that will make all involved parties happy." I'm starting to worry about that as well. Will Raimi and Sony be able to work things out? I'm surprised that they're even fighting with Raimi, especially if they paid copious amounts to make sure he would return to begin with. Doesn't make sense?

Anyway, word from Finke is that the Raimi "hated" the latest draft of the script. Sony has hired a fourth writer, Alvin Sargent, who wrote Spider-Man 2 and 3, to work on a new draft (which they're waiting on). But the problem is they're already behind schedule waiting on this script and therefore, according to an insider at Sony, "it is unlikely that May 11, 2011, date will be made." But of course, "it depends on how quickly the script can get in," and if Raimi and Sony both like it. Finke says that Sony still wants to release Spider-Man 4 that summer, even if they have to do push it back to July. But they'll be losing that May spot.

So what's the big fight all about? Well, referring to the article we wrote in December, it sounds like Raimi really wants John Malkovich to play Vulture, and Sony doesn't like that idea. They also don't like the idea of hiring Anne Hathaway as Vulturess (or some other key female character) because "she'd cost too much and that they probably don't need 'such a big star' for the pic." And let's not forget why they don't want Dr. Connors to ever turn into The Lizard - because they "can't bring themselves to sign off on such an odd-looking enemy." Raimi is the one who should win this - he knows his franchise better than anyone.

I really have no more energy to write about Spider-Man 4 or Spider-M4n or whatever it'll be called. The more I hear, the more depressed I get. If only Sony would listen to Raimi and go with what he wants in his movie, then we'd not only have another big record-breaker in the works, but it'd probably be an awesome movie as well (just like Spider-Man 2). We'll keep you update on this anyway, hopefully with better news.

Read more: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/01/05/ ... z0bqAC3eMg

Sony is such an awful studio. You'd think after the Spider-Man 3 mess they'd just let Raimi do what he thinks will be best for the franchise.

George wrote:Sony is such an awful studio.

The only good thing about Sony is their Sony Pictures Classics subdivision. They have made some really good movies! Okay, not really make, but they have distributed many good films. That is the only good I can see in Sony.

akv1984 wrote:

The only good thing about Sony is their Sony Pictures Classics subdivision. They have made some really good movies!
Well I suppose the same could be said for Fox. 20th Century is terrible (ok, with the exception of Avatar), while Searchlight actually puts out numerous quality movies every year.

George wrote:
akv1984 wrote:

The only good thing about Sony is their Sony Pictures Classics subdivision. They have made some really good movies!
Well I suppose the same could be said for Fox. 20th Century is terrible (ok, with the exception of Avatar), while Searchlight actually puts out numerous quality movies every year.
Fox used to make really good movies. But something happened once we entered the 21st Century.

It's a shame to see that they haven't learned anything from before. I don't think WB would be mucking around with Batman 3 if Nolan decides to make it. At least, I hope so...

i think malkovich as the vulture is a great idea, but i can see how it doesnt make much sense commercially.

it would make for a better movie though.

All these bad movies are getting marketed, produced and made by these mentioned studios in this thread is because there is no originality left. Audiences are getting exhausted watching same type of movies every time they go watch a movie. Explosions, cries, girlfriend/boyfriend, superheroes getting smashed and they get up.

Let's face it - Audiences are much sophisticated now. And these studios are making money trust me they do make money and don't care if people like them or not as long as money is there.

Original stories are getting smashed and trashed and its true. If you are JAMES CAMERON, or Peter Jackson then yeah studios will accept your original story and if you are someone totally new they won't look at you unless that writer is presented by a good ass agent.

Avatar is original technology wise, but story wise it reminded me of THE NEW WORLD and some scenes in the last fight reminded me of APOCALYPTO. 20th Century got pretty lucky here that Avatar is making the CASH!! -

Spider Man movies need break. There is no need for it right now. I think they should take their time and write the story perfectly. There is a reason Sam is disputing with Sony about the script. And if they are not going to find any common ground, I think Sam should step back and let someone else direct the movie. I am pretty sure Sam Raimi can bring some cool films. DRAG ME TO HELL was nice of him.

My opinion, after Spider-Man 3, remake the series

Rohan wrote:All these bad movies are getting marketed, produced and made by these mentioned studios in this thread is because there is no originality left. Audiences are getting exhausted watching same type of movies every time they go watch a movie. Explosions, cries, girlfriend/boyfriend, superheroes getting smashed and they get up.

Let's face it - Audiences are much sophisticated now. And these studios are making money trust me they do make money and don't care if people like them or not as long as money is there.

Original stories are getting smashed and trashed and its true. If you are JAMES CAMERON, or Peter Jackson then yeah studios will accept your original story and if you are someone totally new they won't look at you unless that writer is presented by a good ass agent.

Avatar is original technology wise, but story wise it reminded me of THE NEW WORLD and some scenes in the last fight reminded me of APOCALYPTO. 20th Century got pretty lucky here that Avatar is making the CASH!! -

Spider Man movies need break. There is no need for it right now. I think they should take their time and write the story perfectly. There is a reason Sam is disputing with Sony about the script. And if they are not going to find any common ground, I think Sam should step back and let someone else direct the movie. I am pretty sure Sam Raimi can bring some cool films. DRAG ME TO HELL was nice of him.

I'm no so sure...