I Hope that the Superhero Genre Dies after TDKR.

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I love Nolan's Batman films as much as anyone, but the more I think about the more I realize that the things I like about them are the things that no other Superhero movie has. In fact, all of the super hero movies I like are the ones that go against the tropes of the genre. I liked Watchmen, though it was a mediocre adaption, and I loved Kick-Ass. But I can't stand any Superhero movies that play the genre straight. I can't think of a single movie that has a "super-powered" character, and was better for it.

Even the few comic books that I like, such as Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (obvious Alan Moore theme is obvious) are more deconstructions or transpositions of the genre than legitimate parts of it.

It just amazes me how year after year, dozens of these movies are released, and they are, with Nolan's as the only exception, worthless. Every character is entirely meaningless, entirely detached from the real world. And every movie is exactly the same. Some nebulous, absurd force (norse gods, alien chromatic energy, "arc reactors", kryptonian genetics, gamma rays, mutation etc.) gives two people or groups some ability, they both go "wow, this is weird", and then they fight. These movies all lack any realism, any relatability, or any humanity.

In every case, superpowers do nothing for the story. They exist simply to give an excuse for special effects. Some people would say that X-Men used it to talk about discrimination, but what does X-Men accomplish that a movie about real people facing real prejudice does not? Nothing. Iron Man is about an arms producer wanting to use his company for good, but why does he need a magic suit to do that? Why can't they make a movie that handles that same plot realistically?

Nolan is the only person who realizes this.

Superhero's are played out and there's nothing left to do with them. Hopefully the genre will die after Nolan leaves it, and then everyone can hop on the bandwagon of whatever Nolan does next. People can swoon about The Avengers or the inevitable Justice League, but I'm sure both will be mediocre at best. Movies that are part of a carefully planned corporate strategy will always be sterile and pandering, will feature actors (or models in disguise) doing their best to get on tabloid covers, and will lack all passion.

Its already been made clear that nobody else is capable of matching the quality of this trilogy. Nobody else understands that Nolan's success is not just because he made a comic book movie, its because he turned a comic book into a real, well made series of films. But Hollywood only understands easy money making formulas. I'm glad that Nolan is leaving the genre behind, hopefully the public will do the same.

Don't you forget Superman: Man of steel Nolan is producing is a huge comic movie that means he is not leaving the genre.

I definitely know that after TDKR I will never watch any other Batman sequel/reboot because nobody will give at least 50% of the quality that Nolan gave-his take on Batman is the ultimate take.

Mr. Caine wrote:I definitely know that after TDKR I will never watch any other Batman sequel/reboot because nobody will give at least 50% of the quality that Nolan gave-his take on Batman is the ultimate take.

Totally agree. There needs to be a way where like, the movie industry can retire Batman films like they do in sports when a great player is done playing by retiring his number. I don't want to go through another Joel Schumacher era again.

One of the reasons I love Batman the most among all the Superheroes is because it doesn't look like he has powers ;) I don't know if this one counts but that's the reason I love Zorro as well.

That said...
gmoney wrote:In every case, superpowers do nothing for the story. They exist simply to give an excuse for special effects. Some people would say that X-Men used it to talk about discrimination, but what does X-Men accomplish that a movie about real people facing real prejudice does not? Nothing. Iron Man is about an arms producer wanting to use his company for good, but why does he need a magic suit to do that? Why can't they make a movie that handles that same plot realistically?
X-men doesn't talk only about discrimination, it talks about "mutations" too as you've just mentioned over. I don't think it's too far from reality. A bit exaggerated maybe, but with all the science test some people are doing right now (without any rights more of the time), with babies even used for donation of organs and so on; the question is more about what will humans be tomorrow? Are all these science tests necessary? Are we creating monsters/becoming monsters while doing this?

I wish there will be a long pause before there's another Batman film. I wish they waited a bit more before doing a new Spiderman and I hope that, at some moment they'll find another source of informations for new stories and when the time is right make the Superheroes come back the way they deserve.
I'm sure that after Burton's Batman a lot of Burton's fan were like you now, hoping there would be no other Batman after that but if it happened this way we would have never seen what Nolan had to give to us.

So here's hoping we get another great Batman, but only when the time is right with a new creative director who's yet to be known. 8-)

sidewinder89 wrote:
Mr. Caine wrote:I definitely know that after TDKR I will never watch any other Batman sequel/reboot because nobody will give at least 50% of the quality that Nolan gave-his take on Batman is the ultimate take.

Totally agree. There needs to be a way where like, the movie industry can retire Batman films like they do in sports when a great player is done playing by retiring his number. I don't want to go through another Joel Schumacher era again.

I disagree. If they're bad then just don't watch them. There are so many different tones and stories you could do for Batman, and rebooting gives us an opportunity to see a whole new vision. The Amazing Spider-Man, for instance, already looks more appealing to me than Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy.

I agree with the topic of this forum but I think its harsh to say that the superhero genre should die. A better way to day it is that you hope that that the genre will transform into somethin better as time goes on. Maybe it should be called The Hero genre since super may invovle elements of surrealism and Hero involves gritty realism. Or maybe there should be a split in the genre some being corny and for kids and others respectably real and more for adults.....

George wrote:I disagree. If they're bad then just don't watch them. There are so many different tones and stories you could do for Batman, and rebooting gives us an opportunity to see a whole new vision. The Amazing Spider-Man, for instance, already looks more appealing to me than Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy.
+1

There are still lots of stories to be said. Lots of villains to be used. Other Batman versions to be made. I'm a big fan of Batman so as long as the movies will not be shit... I have nothing to complain. Nolan did his part and he did it in a brilliant way. Let's see what the next approach will offer us.

Superhero movies aren't my favorite genre...but I certainly don't hope they will "die"

If they make great films, who cares?

-Vader