Most Underrated Movies?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Addicted2Movies wrote:I don't "hate" it. I just don't see why people thought it was so amazing. It was one big cliche filled with stock characters and rip offs of older movies like Ferngully, Pocahontas, and Dances with Wolves. Others can like it though, doesn't bother me.
Let's frame this post.

I agree, I don't hate it, I just think it's ridiculous the amount of praise it is getting. If anything it should get recognition for the way it was filmed and that's all.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:
I agree, I don't hate it, I just think it's ridiculous the amount of praise it is getting. If anything it should get recognition for the way it was filmed and that's all.
I like you... me and you have similar thoughts...

Z. Cobb wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
I like you... me and you have similar thoughts...
I like you too, but ... I'm already with Talli ;)

damn i need a clone buddy thing..

It's been my view since the film's release that a large amount of viewers have a skewed reaction of the film. Individually, I think we can admit that while the story is cliche, it's one of the best tellings of it.

Beyond that, the story, characters, music, themes, presentation of Pandora/this wonderful world/the 3D, all that, is meant to interact with one another seamlessly to offer a singular experience, they aren't meant to be analyzed on an individual level. They visuels and story are very much the same thing, and people seem to miss that.

It's a beautiful film, one that offers an unbelievably moving experience on a multitude of levels. Feelings of being swept off your feet, of truly seeing something you never have before, of the endearing love story at the core of the entire production.

The first Avatar is a lesser A New Hope. Terrible dialogue, generally, the performances aren't that great, but the experience of seeing so much you never have before elevates it beyond anything you've seen before, and somehow, the flaws vanish the further you get into the narrative. No, Avatar isn't nearly as good as Star Wars for a multitude of reasons, but still.

Avatar has a true sense of wonder, it's amazing.

-Vader

mastervirgo wrote: Valhalla Rising (2009)[/b]
Yes, I loved this movie. I was surprised by how low the rating was on imdb, but I guess these kind of movies aren't for everyone, and I guess people came into it thinking it was going be along the lines of 300 or something along the lines of that, and got an extremely, minimalist, atmospheric film. Bronson's rating on imdb is also disturbingly low for such a great movie. Nicholas Winding Refn's next movie Drive seems to be getting a lot of hype though so that's good. I guess you could call him an underrated director.

The House of the Devil is a recent horror film that is very minimalist that I really love that also is getting some unfair ratings.

I don't hate Avatar. I actually really enjoyed it. It's a great theatrical experience with breathtaking visuals. But it's not groundbreaking cinema in terms of story, theme or character. It's also not one of the best movies ever (IMDb whatchoo talkin about)

Agreed on The Talented Mr. Ripley and The Machinist. I also think Zodiac is one of Fincher's best films, albeit the one people have seen the least.

And let's not forget about The Last Song. I absolutely loved that film! It's one of my all time favorites. The characters are just so realistic, and Miley Cyrus was AMAZING as her character.

^Sarcasm, y'all... WOOOO I'm hyper!!!!

Last night (2010)
Why you lurking my page brah?

The Straight Story by David Lynch is also very good.

Avatar has a true sense of wonder, it's amazing.
[/quote]
Yeah when I saw it, I was thinking "I wonder what else I could be doing right now. :think: "