Most Underrated Movies?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Blood Diamond. I fucking love that film. One of my favorites of all time. Such a powerful film and such a powerful performance by Leo.

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:Blood Diamond. I fucking love that film. One of my favorites of all time. Such a powerful film and such a powerful performance by Leo.
I really, really wanted to like this movie. But
the entire film is driven by nothing more than dues ex machinas and that drives me nuts.
-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:Blood Diamond. I fucking love that film. One of my favorites of all time. Such a powerful film and such a powerful performance by Leo.
the entire film is driven by nothing more than dues ex machinas and that drives me nuts.
-Vader
:eh:

allstarr55js wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
-Vader
:eh:
Okay.
How does Solomon get away after he finds the diamond in the benning just as the guy caught him as was about to kill him or at least dismember him? The other army group just happens to attack in the nick of time. That same exact scenario plays out just about in every action set piece. When big things happen, they happen at the convenience of when it would be dramatic, or would save the good guys. They never get out of situations themselves, some external force always saves them.
Bad, bad screenwriting/storytelling.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Okay.
How does Solomon get away after he finds the diamond in the benning just as the guy caught him as was about to kill him or at least dismember him? The other army group just happens to attack in the nick of time. That same exact scenario plays out just about in every action set piece. When big things happen, they happen at the convenience of when it would be dramatic, or would save the good guys. They never get out of situations themselves, some external force always saves them.

-Vader
I agree that one think did seem to happen in the nick of time but what else exactly?

allstarr55js wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Okay.

-Vader
I agree that one think did seem to happen in the nick of time but what else exactly?
Man, it's been a few years since i've seen it but I distinctively remember thinking that throughout. At the end, the helicopters get there in just the nick of time there... I'm trying to think, there's a bunch more but my memory is failing me. I was profoundly bothered by it though.
It's just that everything seems to happen only for the convenience of the story and trying to be dramatic.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Man, it's been a few years since i've seen it but I distinctively remember thinking that throughout. At the end, the helicopters get there in just the nick of time there... I'm trying to think, there's a bunch more but my memory is failing me. I was profoundly bothered by it though.
It's just that everything seems to happen only for the convenience of the story and trying to be dramatic.

-Vader
Danny called in the helicopters in advance. That was not bad writing.

allstarr55js wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Danny called in the helicopters in advance. That was not bad writing.

...Right. But they got there in the precise, specific moment that they did. I mean, unless he had it down to the second..

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:...Right. But they got there in the precise, specific moment that they did. I mean, unless he had it down to the second..

-Vader
They did not really come at that convenient of a time, I am pretty sure a lot of chaos was going on before they even showed.

allstarr55js wrote:
Vader182 wrote:...Right. But they got there in the precise, specific moment that they did. I mean, unless he had it down to the second..

-Vader
They did not really come at that convenient of a time, I am pretty sure a lot of chaos was going on before they even showed.
Like I said, there's a bunch of moments these are just the only two I remember (I saw it two years ago last I think.. could be wrong), and they really did, since if they came up moments later, it would've been game over.
This isn't a singular complaint of the film, by the way. Almost all of it feels contrived. It just happens to be well acted and mostly well shot so it's pretty awesome a lot of the time.

-Vader