The Place Beyond the Pines (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Hell yeah. My local theater finally decided to show this. To fucking excited.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

One of the very few films which left me feeling something even hours after I saw the film, just the scale of it! Incredible film! Going on a lonely bike ride tomorrow for the sake of the fantasy of the film (and also not riding my bike in a long time and the great weather)

Mindheist wrote:One of the very few films which left me feeling something even hours after I saw the film, just the scale of it! Incredible film! Going on a lonely bike ride tomorrow for the sake of the fantasy of the film (and also not riding my bike in a long time and the great weather)
If I went on a bike ride after seeing this, I would be out for hours just riding and thinking about life and legacy

From my own personal experience with the film and after reading many of you all's reviews and feelings, I think the film accomplished what it set out to do. It leaves a huge impression on you and makes you reflect on those small moments that have the potential to have a huge impact on your life. In a way, this film is almost comparable to The Dark Knight Rises in the way that it is so ambitious that it sometimes doesn't quite connect, but when it does, it hits hard.

Skyab23 wrote:From my own personal experience with the film and after reading many of you all's reviews and feelings, I think the film accomplished what it set out to do. It leaves a huge impression on you and makes you reflect on those small moments that have the potential to have a huge impact on your life. In a way, this film is almost comparable to The Dark Knight Rises in the way that it is so ambitious that it sometimes doesn't quite connect, but when it does, it hits hard.
That's a great way of putting it, and that's why this film gets so many props from me for being so ambitious.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Had the film closed
after Gosling exits the picture,
the film would have only served as a competent moving going experience, but nothing more. The ambition of the latter half of the film really helped elevate the material beyond the familiar gosling vehicle. I was honestly expecting the climax of the film to be
Goslings robbing banks
. Imagine my gratification towards Cianfrance when I realized it had hardly reached the halfway point.

I've heard a lot of people having issues with the third act. In my opinion, the second act (which I initially wasn't sure about) was later verified by the strongly compelling third act. Just my opinion.

I would love to re-watch it on as a non-linear experience. Like if it went from act 2, to act 1, and then everything ties together with act 3. That would be kind of neat.
Why you lurking my page brah?

Forum Pro
Law
Dodd wrote:I would love to re-watch it on as a non-linear experience. Like if it went from act 2, to act 1, and then everything ties together with act 3. That would be kind of neat.
It wouldn't make any sense.