Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cop 223 wrote:
Echovoid_52 wrote:
My only complaint is I think Jessica Chastain has one or two scenes where she's trying to do some Jodie Foster over-charged performance."I'm the motherfucker who found him." or something like that was kinda cringeworthy. I like when the film plays it straight, is mostly unsentimental and focuses on obsession. Other then that she was a great.
I feel the same way.
Same here. The film is still a masterpiece though.

m4st4 wrote:
Echovoid_52 wrote:My only complaint is I think Jessica Chastain has one or two scenes where she's trying to do some Jodie Foster over-charged performance."I'm the motherfucker who found him." or something like that was kinda cringeworthy. I like when the film plays it straight, is mostly unsentimental and focuses on obsession. Other then that she was a great, and I think the film's a modern classic.
As far as I remember she had one scene like that. And that line you've mentioned? That's the script.

What's wrong with being tough in a place where they easily eat you up if you ain't?
Yeah, if the scene is put in that way, it makes sense the phrase.

It's a film about victimisers saying: 'Feel bad for me whilst I'm doing these horrible things to maybe innocent people'. They're all pretty much Victarion Greyjoy.

Batfan175 wrote:It's a film about victimisers saying: 'Feel bad for me whilst I'm doing these horrible things to maybe innocent people'. They're all pretty much Victarion Greyjoy.
Actually It's a film that explores the question of how far can we go for justice against evil before we lose our souls. And some other stuff.

Addicted2Movies wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:It's a film about victimisers saying: 'Feel bad for me whilst I'm doing these horrible things to maybe innocent people'. They're all pretty much Victarion Greyjoy.
Actually It's a film that explores the question of how far can we go for justice against evil before we lose our souls. And some other stuff.
That too but when every protagonist is in the CIA and the film is pretty much framed from their point of view the film loses my sympathy a bit...when the director gets access to classified information you bet that the film is not meant to reflect badly on the CIA and the only reason it does is by accident because whenever you want their support and their info they vet the script, just like the pentagon does whenever they're asked for their military equipment, which is why you rarely see war crimes being committed by US military in an American film.

Epic bump is indeed epic.

I may be one of few people to think this is as close as Bigelow will get to cinematic perfection. It's neck and neck between this and The Tree Of Life for best film of the new millennium in my book. Call it overating it, call it being a slave to Bigelow's adrenaline-soaked and dippy ways, but what it speaks about - yes, the war in terror, but also obsession, pyschological power play, the poetic undertones to war's effect on the intelligence players behind the scenes, and everything else she encompasses - is untouchable.

And the last 30 minutes being the pinnacle of technical and narrative achievement in a scene. I'll stop now ;)

Oh look, another person mis-reading the movie.