Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
2 more days... :-D

George wrote:2 more days... :-D
Yep, I plan on seeing it either tomorrow (a few theaters are showing early showtimes at 10 pm) or on Friday and then hopefully finalizing my Top 10 Films of the Year List.

Vader182 wrote:Review to follow after it's sunk in a lot more. I'll just say this:

2012 has been an iconic year for film. Almost every major working filmmaker released a film ranking highly in his or her filmography if not topping it, and this year may prove to be the greatest for cinema in my life thus far, and for a while too. With the exception of The Dark Knight Rises and possibly The Master but probably not, what I experienced in the movie theater was never less than witnessing modern and deservingly iconic cinema unfold before my eyes. It is the film of 2012 most nearing perfection.

Zero Dark Thirty will be a classic.

-Vader
:clap: :clap:

Forum Pro
Law
I have the screener, but only got through the opening black screen before turning it off out of sheer guilt.

Law wrote:I have the screener, but only got through the opening black screen before turning it off out of sheer guilt.

GOOOOOD.

Law wrote:I have the screener, but only got through the opening black screen before turning it off out of sheer guilt.
Didn't care for that part. But I guess it's good you stopped while you were ahead.
Do you... like pineapple?

B+ (made it seem like an A for what he said about it :think: )

I agree with basically everything he said besides his main problem, the characters.
I need to rewatch it, though.

m4st4 wrote:This interview confirms scenes from their personal lives that were cut:

http://collider.com/jessica-chastain-ze ... ew/218169/
I'm apparently in the minority in thinking the film's refusal to include any such scenes was a genius decision. It relied on it's own craft, plot, and the way the characters interact with those elements, to become effective. Most films, especially ones relating to history, espionage, and journalism, manipulate the viewer into emotional submissiveness with these spy pictures by having us become invested in relationships almost always irrelevant to the actual goals of the film. Not doing so is pure.

One of the the most influential films contemporary cinema, that is also a masterpiece, is the 1976 picture All the President's Men.

-Vader

I'm not sure about that, are you in minority? I also think it was more effective that way.

All the President's Men is a true rare classic.