Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:I'm not sure about that, are you in minority? I also think it was more effective that way.

All the President's Men is a true rare classic.
I've read most top critic reviews and a lot of others (I don't know where I find the time for this kinda thing- oh yeah, I don't sleep a ton, but still, I surprise myself sometimes), and even of those awarding the film singularly high praise, even for 2012, warn the film's clinical and 'detached' quality make it less visceral than maybe it could have been.

There's plenty that agree with us though, and for most, it's obvious it isn't exactly a "problem."

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:I'm not sure about that, are you in minority? I also think it was more effective that way.

All the President's Men is a true rare classic.
I've read most top critic reviews and a lot of others (I don't know where I find the time for this kinda thing- oh yeah, I don't sleep a ton, but still, I surprise myself sometimes), and even of those awarding the film singularly high praise, even for 2012, warn the film's clinical and 'detached' quality make it less visceral than maybe it could have been.

There's plenty that agree with us though, and for most, it's obvious it isn't exactly a "problem."

-Vader
Yeah. It was visceral exactly because it was detached. You realize just how dangerous their world is because you're more immersed in it, zero personal issues involved. The finale is pure example of it, it's not important if we had couple of scenes with this x marine and his pregnant wife, his fear is evident and understandable, you can see it in his eyes. And the procedural details are very important part of the experience, seeing USMC using their usual raid tactics, everything that's going to keep them alive, in a mockumentary climax fashion, it's visceral in it's very core and by itself.

Alberto wrote:

B+ (made it seem like an A for what he said about it :think: )

I agree with basically everything he said besides his main problem, the characters.
I need to rewatch it, though.
Ugh. Why would he look for character development when this is a film that didn't necessarily need one in the first place?

Why drop the rating so low just for that? This reminds me of the Cloud Atlas review and some other stuff. He had only ONE issue and then praised the film and ended up giving it a poor rating.

I mean, I've said this before. The guy's kind of an idiot, and it should be a lot harder for me to call a Nolan fanboy an idiot than it is for this character.

He knows little of filmmaking, and his bizarrely specific expectations control his viewing experience for almost every film. On a pure intelligent scale though, barely following TTSS and Cloud Atlas and claiming neither are even understandable says more about his credibility than I ever could.

I hope he's not anyone on this site, lol.

-Vader

RIFA wrote:
Alberto wrote:

B+ (made it seem like an A for what he said about it :think: )

I agree with basically everything he said besides his main problem, the characters.
I need to rewatch it, though.
Ugh. Why would he look for character development when this is a film that didn't necessarily need one in the first place?

Why drop the rating so low just for that?
B+ is pretty acceptable. It's not like a C or anything.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:
RIFA wrote: Ugh. Why would he look for character development when this is a film that didn't necessarily need one in the first place?

Why drop the rating so low just for that?
You don't understand. He spoke as he would be ready to give it an A.

RIFA wrote:
jibran wrote:
You don't understand. He spoke as he would be ready to give it an A.
Yeah, frankly I didn't watch it or care really. Grades, poor indicators.
Do you... like pineapple?

overrated...

Vader182 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:This interview confirms scenes from their personal lives that were cut:

http://collider.com/jessica-chastain-ze ... ew/218169/
I'm apparently in the minority in thinking the film's refusal to include any such scenes was a genius decision.

-Vader
Couldn't agree more, the film is all the better for making that decision.

This comes out tomorrow in my theaters. SUPER EXCITED!
Sigs???