Gravity (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I like poop

the_red_ninja wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote:
You mean when she's talking to dead Matt asking him to find little Sarah in heaven (that was sweet man) or the part when she is in the Chinese shuttle trying to find the right buttons?
no i mean things like when she said 'i am ready' right after dead matt
it's supposed to be like for confidence but it was one thing too many that she said that marked the arc's peak little too literally
omw prince, after dead Matt she made the decision to live. But now that she's made the big decision, she actually has to follow through yo. So who can blame her for psyching herself up a bit, especially for something she hasn't done before.
I don't care if you think it is bad screenwriting, it doesn't take anything away from the events that follow yo.
it's something that works on paper but it wasn't utilized within the orchestration of whatever was going on
it's not like it broke it but it made an impression

Cilogy wrote: I didn't say only for visuals, I said the film functions almost purely on the visuals, which implies the other elements of the film (performances, storytelling, etc.) are present but not as important. That doesn't mean there's no value in the non-visual effects storytelling or context, it's just very basic in those areas.
I don't agree with that. Because those other elements are the most important thing about Gravity, otherwise it would be just another IMAX: Space Station 3D. I saw the movie three times because I was compelled by the messages that were given by Alfonso and Jonas Cuaron and acomplishments of dr. Stone's character, I wanted to feel cathartic, it wasn't purely on visual basis - the impulse to see it and analyse it was there, but within the thematic layer that propelled the visual aspect forward and made the experience even better.

Jax_Teller wrote:How on earth did you manage to bring up The Descendants when talking about Gravity? "looks like a telenovela", what?
Hey, looks who's talking!

Yes, i did it because I'm comparing how both movies deal with the emotional part of the story. In Gravity is more controlled, while in The Descendants is less subtle. I'm not comparing anything else.

And please, can you quote the messages you are discussing with?

@bacon: The emotions in the movie are almost-perfect. I don't understand your criticism.

Those two movies couldn't be more different. Weird. :geek:

Jax_Teller wrote:Those two movies couldn't be more different. Weird. :geek:
but again, I'm not comparing the themes of each movie.

Jesus, it's pretty hard to discuss with you.

Whoever is calling The Descendants a "telenovela" should actually go and watch a real telenovela and see how ridiculous his statement sounds.

RIFA wrote:Whoever is calling The Descendants a "telenovela" should actually go and watch a real telenovela and see how ridiculous his statement sounds.
LOL

I'm from Mexico, sooo....

I mean, I'm not bashing the movie....

prince0gotham wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:
i wasn't talking about that but about everything after the ghost moment and only some of the stuff before that
You mean when she's talking to dead Matt asking him to find little Sarah in heaven (that was sweet man) or the part when she is in the Chinese shuttle trying to find the right buttons?
no i mean things like when she said 'i am ready' right after dead matt
it's supposed to be like for confidence but it was one thing too many that she said that marked the arc's peak little too literally
She's been all alone in space for quite some time and then she's almost died and then she had a hallucination of her dead teammate coming back... You bet your ass she is going to reassure herself every bit of the way by talking to herself.
I watched the film thrice and didn't have a problem with that scene at all. Sandra acted the hell out of those scenes - it was incredibly emotional and brought tears to my eyes.

i know how it's supposed to work and what's supposed to explain it but it didn't justify the convenience of being that way and I didn't like how comfortable and convenient the movie was with letting her explain the plot the whole time just because it's supposed to make sense

that in a combo with symbolism that only takes the knowing of the 2001 influence (which is obvious) to read in full just bothers

i mean i gave it a 9/10 while thinking all this because it's a masterpiece of suspense for at least 80% of the movie but writing wise it's just not amazing