Gravity (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Come onnnnn. We all think out loud sometimes. Especially when one is on their own.

EDIT: Plus if you didn't notice, astronauts have the habit/protocol of saying whatever they are doing because Houston is listening. they had to ask for permission from Houston to do anything as well. So maybe she is just saying errrrthing with the hope that Houston is listening yo.

the_red_ninja wrote:Come onnnnn. We all think out loud sometimes. Especially when one is on their own.
The argument could go even farther; why is anyone talking in that movie, besides Clooney-Bullock interaction? Some kind of bridge between dr. Stone and us, the audience, must be there.

m4st4 wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote:Come onnnnn. We all think out loud sometimes. Especially when one is on their own.
The argument could go even farther; why is anyone talking in that movie, besides Clooney-Bullock interaction? Some kind of bridge between dr. Stone and us, the audience, must be there.
Yeah I'll be honest, that was a little annoying, and not just the communication with Houston point Ninja made.

The 9/10 or whatever I gave it functions almost purely on the visuals, otherwise it sort of hands everything to the audience in big flashy gold letters.

EDIT: Plus if you didn't notice, astronauts have the habit/protocol of saying whatever they are doing because Houston is listening. they had to ask for permission from Houston to do anything as well. So maybe she is just saying errrrthing with the hope that Houston is listening yo.
i wasn't talking about that but about everything after the ghost moment and only some of the stuff before that

Cilogy wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
Yeah I'll be honest, that was a little annoying, and not just the communication with Houston point Ninja made.

The 9/10 or whatever I gave it functions almost purely on the visuals, otherwise it sort of hands everything to the audience in big flashy gold letters.
That seems so empty. 9/10 bombshell... but only for the visuals... :|

prince0gotham wrote:

i wasn't talking about that but about everything after the ghost moment and only some of the stuff before that
You mean when she's talking to dead Matt asking him to find little Sarah in heaven (that was sweet man) or the part when she is in the Chinese shuttle trying to find the right buttons?

m4st4 wrote:To people who think the story wasn't on par with visuals - what did you expect: aliens, more splosions, love triangle with the dead guy? Story was perfectly adequate for a wannabe realistic space epic because it was telling a tale about humans, not superheroes.
I wanted more emotion, believe it or not.
The whole woof scene was good, but it came off as a little cheesy and it felt like they were trying too hard. The last scene and her last statement about it being "one helluva ride" made me wish I cared more about this person and knew her a little bit better.
Just my opinion.

m4st4 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
m4st4 wrote:The argument could go even farther; why is anyone talking in that movie, besides Clooney-Bullock interaction? Some kind of bridge between dr. Stone and us, the audience, must be there.

That seems so empty. 9/10 bombshell... but only for the visuals... :|
I didn't say only for visuals, I said the film functions almost purely on the visuals, which implies the other elements of the film (performances, storytelling, etc.) are present but not as important. That doesn't mean there's no value in the non-visual effects storytelling or context, it's just very basic in those areas.

the_red_ninja wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:

You mean when she's talking to dead Matt asking him to find little Sarah in heaven (that was sweet man) or the part when she is in the Chinese shuttle trying to find the right buttons?
no i mean things like when she said 'i am ready' right after dead matt
it's supposed to be like for confidence but it was one thing too many that she said that marked the arc's peak little too literally

prince0gotham wrote:
the_red_ninja wrote:
no i mean things like when she said 'i am ready' right after dead matt
it's supposed to be like for confidence but it was one thing too many that she said that marked the arc's peak little too literally
omw prince, after dead Matt she made the decision to live. But now that she's made the big decision, she actually has to follow through yo. So who can blame her for psyching herself up a bit, especially for something she hasn't done before.
I don't care if you think it is bad screenwriting, it doesn't take anything away from the events that follow yo.