Best Dialogue Writer?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
My vote goes to Tarantino. The convosations and dialogue in his films are fantastic.

Examples

*The Superman speech in Kill Bill Volume Two
*The "Hamburgers for Breakfast" scene in Pulp Fiction.
*The opening scene in Inglorious Basterds.
*The opening scene in Pulp Fiction.
*The edning scene in Pulp Fiction.

And many, many more. Those are just a few examples and I have yet to see Reservoiur Dogs. The man's a genius. As for Nolan, he's ok, not great at dialogue.

Yeah, Tarantino is good on diaglogues.

Kevin Smith and Guy Ritchie are too.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

The dialogue in Resevoir Dogs is nothing to write home about. Pulp Fiction is when Tarantino peaked for me, but the Superman speech in Kill Bill Vol. 2 was awesome.

At one time I would have said Woody Allen.

Aaron Sorkin is pretty darn good. Rian Johnson is an up and comer to look out for. The Brothers Bloom and Brick had some really cool dialogue.

Ricky Gervais along with Stephen Merchant, and I'm not kidding! Their dialogues in their works like The Office and Extras are always just mindblowingly realistic!

Great call on Rian Johnson.

Ummm my fav.

Diablo Cody at the mo, loved Jennifer's body and Juno, but my fav would be Nolan tbh. I think some of his quotes and speeches in his films are great.

Like in Memento
Leonard Shelby: "You know, I can remember so much. The feel of the world... her.
[sighs]
She's gone. And the present is trivia, which I scribble down as """"""" notes.

Following
Cobb: "You take it away... to show them what they had."

Or The Prestige
Robert Angier: "You never understood, why we did this. The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces... "

Just brilliant, cracking writer in my view.

rbevanx wrote:Great call on Rian Johnson.

Ummm my fav.

Diablo Cody at the mo, loved Jennifer's body and Juno, but my fav would be Nolan tbh. I think some of his quotes and speeches in his films are great.

Like in Memento
Leonard Shelby: "You know, I can remember so much. The feel of the world... her.
[sighs]
She's gone. And the present is trivia, which I scribble down as """"""" notes.

Following
Cobb: "You take it away... to show them what they had."

Or The Prestige
Robert Angier: "You never understood, why we did this. The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder, and then you... then you got to see something really special... you really don't know?... it was... it was the look on their faces... "

Nolan? He has some good back and fourths but nothing to write home about. He's a good writer, but not a great dialogue. He's not even in the same league as people like Tarantino, Ritchie, and Cody. He's more like a James Cameron in terms of writing, very creative, but not the best with dialogue. Also I heard somewhere that John Nolan is the better writer of the two, so that line from "The Prestige" could very well not have been written by Chris.

CrazyEight wrote:Nolan? He has some good back and fourths but nothing to write home about. He's a good writer, but not a great dialogue. He's not even in the same league as people like Tarantino, Ritchie, and Cody. He's more like a James Cameron in terms of writing, very creative, but not the best with dialogue. Also I heard somewhere that John Nolan is the better writer of the two, so that line from "The Prestige" could very well not have been written by Chris.
Jonathan Nolan said that Chris is a much better writer than him. He takes his ideas and twists them into more interesting things.

I like Nolan's writing (dialogue and all). He structures his dialogue more around the themes and plot which keeps it relevant. Unlike Ritchie (one-trick pony), Cody (self-conscious annoyance) or Tarantino (very good).

Yeah Ritchie is overrated, I had to wake my mate up during RochNRolla in the cinema as he snores lol.

Revolver was a terrible film, just terrible. I also think Snatch and Lock Stock rely heavilly on the soundtrack and the slow motion technique used in music viders rather than whats going on.
When they were looking for distrubution a lot of people found it boring and didn't rate it, but soon as they add some of the great songs, people liked it.

Tarrintino to be fair is good but everyone in his films sound like him but it's the little facts that add to the film and makes it feel more real.
Like the Royale with cheese in Pulp Fiction, Talking about guns in Jackie Brown or the Superman in Kill Bill:V2.

Diablo Cody is also a bit like Tarrintino where they all sound the same.

rbevanx wrote: Or The Prestige

Agreed. Easily one of my favorite, if not my favorite, scenes/dialog/acting from a Nolan movie right there. It just lands with me.