Best Dialogue Writer?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
CrazyEight wrote:
rbevanx wrote: Nolan? He has some good back and fourths but nothing to write home about. He's a good writer, but not a great dialogue. He's not even in the same league as people like Tarantino, Ritchie, and Cody. He's more like a James Cameron in terms of writing, very creative, but not the best with dialogue. Also I heard somewhere that John Nolan is the better writer of the two, so that line from "The Prestige" could very well not have been written by Chris.
You can't compare James Cameron and Christopher Nolan. Cameron can't write dialog at all...

Quentin Tarantino always writes the same dialog no matter what the setting of the story is. Cody is just a copycat of Tarantino (the Jennifer Body's script was slaughtered by critics), and Ritchie just suck. You really think Guy Ritchie writes better dialog than Nolan?

Get your mind right.
@sammyjankis88

I always seem to get mis quoted on this site :lol:

rbevanx wrote:I always seem to get mis quoted on this site :lol:
Some people are born to suffer. :P

Robin wrote:
CrazyEight wrote:
rbevanx wrote: Nolan? He has some good back and fourths but nothing to write home about. He's a good writer, but not a great dialogue. He's not even in the same league as people like Tarantino, Ritchie, and Cody. He's more like a James Cameron in terms of writing, very creative, but not the best with dialogue. Also I heard somewhere that John Nolan is the better writer of the two, so that line from "The Prestige" could very well not have been written by Chris.
You can't compare James Cameron and Christopher Nolan. Cameron can't write dialog at all...

Quentin Tarantino always writes the same dialog no matter what the setting of the story is. Cody is just a copycat of Tarantino (the Jennifer Body's script was slaughtered by critics), and Ritchie just suck. You really think Guy Ritchie writes better dialog than Nolan?

Get your mind right.
Yes, I think Ritchie does right better dialogue then Nolan, for the most part. Ritchie's dialogue is more realistic, he writes stuff that people would actually say in a real situation, Nolan's is more cinematic. I like good cinematic dialogue, but I think realistic dialogue is a lot harder to write.

Both Nolan and Cameron are great writers. They are both incredibly creative. But both of them are not the best at dialogue. In The Dark Knight Dent say's "I knew the risks when I took this job lieutenant.", It's an incredibly cheesy line and the way Eckhart say's it is just as bad as the line it's self. Honestly that one line of dialogue ruined that entire scene for me. Ritchie wouldn't write something like that, and if he did it would be intentional because that's just the nature of his films.

:lol: I could call Ritchie's dialogue a lot of things, realistic isn't one of them. In fact, his movies are known for their over the top stylizations.

Eternalist wrote::lol: I could call Ritchie's dialogue a lot of things, realistic isn't one of them. In fact, his movies are known for their over the top stylizations.
:lol: I couldn't agree more Eternalist and I still havn't seen evidence to why Ritchie, Tarrintino and Cody are better. I have made it very clear why I think they are poor compared to Nolan.
Are you sure you havn't got the two of them mixed up CrazyEight :lol:

CrazyEight: Are you serious or just narrow-minded? Read the script of Titanic (or any other of his films) and you will understand that as a screenwriter he absolutely blows. He is a fantastic director but not screenwriter, you are mixing the terms. Paul Thomas Anderson is an example of a director that can deliver great screenwriting.

Not the biggest Nolan fan, but MY GOD does he deliver quality stuff compared to Richie and the other hacks you mentioned (exception: Tarantino). Check out writers like Robert Towne or Charlie Kaufman my friend.
@sammyjankis88

rbevanx wrote:
Eternalist wrote::lol: I could call Ritchie's dialogue a lot of things, realistic isn't one of them. In fact, his movies are known for their over the top stylizations.
:lol: I couldn't agree more Eternalist and I still havn't seen evidence to why Ritchie, Tarrintino and Cody are better. I have made it very clear why I think they are poor compared to Nolan.
Are you sure you havn't got the two of them mixed up CrazyEight :lol:
Ritchie's films are highly stylized and they are very fun to watch. But they also have good stories with good characters. His writing is more realistic in that the characters in his films say things people in real life would say. You can't compare Nolan to Ritchie and Tarantino, all three of them are different writers. Nolan’s dialogue is not realistic. The conversations that happen in "The Dark Knight" , "The Prestige" and "Memento" would not happen in real life. The line that was quoted earlier in this thread from "The Prestige" is a perfect cinematic line. But it sounds like it was written down. It's to perfect and epic for someone to just make up on the spot. That just doesn't happen in real life. Which is fine, I love that kind of stuff but it's a lot easier to write then realistic dialogue such as Ritchie and Tarantino. Characters in Ritchie’s films don't say perfect lines of dialogue, it sounds like improv, but it's not. Same with Tarantino. The dialogue in there films flows so organically and naturally that it doesn’t seem scripted at times. When your hanging out with your friends or just talking to somebody, you don't deliver perfect dialogue, you make stupid jokes and say things that don't always make sense, or isn't proper English. Nolan is a great film maker, I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't think so. But he is not the best at everything. He's not the best writer on the planet, he's not the best Director or producer, he's a really good and talented one, but their is always better. I hope that you can appreciate that.

Guy Ritchie is a hack. Every movie he has made since Snatch has sucked. Even Snatch is unoriginal and highly avrage.

Style over substance.
@sammyjankis88

Robin wrote:Guy Ritchie is a hack. Every movie he has made since Snatch has sucked. Even Snatch is unoriginal and highly avrage.

Style over substance.
His films are not for everyone. They are not created using the conventional story telling methods or what most people expect from a movie made today. That is why I like them, they are unique and a breath of fresh air. His movies are fun to watch, but he doesn't cross over into the Michael Bay zone. All of his films have interesting stories and interesting characters. It's ok that you don't like him, but he is definitely not a hack. Some people seem to forget that because a movie has a lot of style, doesn't mean it doesn't have any substance.