Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
radewart wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Watchable, nothing special. Contagion and The Andromeda Strain are better types of the pandemic genre.
I haven't seen The Andromeda Strain. But it's on my watchlist. :twothumbsup:

So the Criterion remaster of Come And See is out there (which is said to be a superb remaster)

How depressed am I going to get

Nomis wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 7:42 am
So the Criterion remaster of Come And See is out there (which is said to be a superb remaster)

How depressed am I going to get
you'll wonder why more characters in film don't have grey hair

this is the best soundtrack i've jammed in a long while and recommend it to you all

vitalina varela is on criterion channel if anyone's interested in watching the movie keith thinks had the best cinematography of 2019

TW: dune-like darkness

pedro costa's movies have magic in them.

I'm currently going through all the Best Picture Winners. Which one should I watch next? Here's a list of ones I have not seen:
Dances with Wolves
The Last Emperor
Out of Africa
Terms of Endearment
Chariots of Fire
Ordinary People
The Sting
Patton
Midnight Cowboy
Oliver!
In the Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Tom Jones!
Gigi
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Around the World in Eighty Days
The Greatest Show on Earth
An American in Paris
All About Eve
All the King’s Men
Hamlet
Gentleman’s Agreement
The Best Years of Our Lives
The Lost Weekend
Going My Way
Mrs. Miniver
How Green Was My Valley
Rebecca
Gone With the Wind
You Can’t Take it With You
The Life of Emile Zola
The Great Ziegfeld
Mutiny on the Bounty
It Happened One Night
Cavalcade
Grand Hotel
Cimarron
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Broadway Melody

To develop my opinion about a few of your list:

Out of Africa
It took me some time to fully appreciate this movie (3rd viewing). It's once I read a quote from Pollack saying that if he knows what the message of his film is, then he doesn't need to make the film, that I recognized it as a beautiful piece of art, that deals with themes of progress, education, colonization, freedom, emancipation, and doesn't give easy answer to any of these the question it raises.

The Sting
Some iconic scenes and performances here and there make it definitely worth watching.

My Fair Lady
A very elegant Cukor, who shows how he's a master at turning plays into films, with his beautiful camera movement, that use the set in a very dynamic and cinematic way.

Not my favourite Wyler (because Roman Holiday), but a great film, with very sincere emotions at its core. Acting is top-notch as always with Wyler, and it's also shot by the great Toland (and it's one of his best work)

How Green Was My Valley
Beautiful. Sorry not sorry, but it deserved its Academy Awards.

Gone With the Wind
Of course, it needs a disclaimer in terms of historical representation, but it's an amazing film. Every shot feels like there was no budget-limit, every frame is filled with the desire to make the greatest film possible. The score is perfect. Vivien Leigh gives the greatest performance ever.

You Can’t Take it With You & It Happened One Night
I love Capra. But these are not my favourites of him. It happened one night is great fun, and Gable is so funny, it's definitely worth watching, but it 's a film that Capra made before deciding that cinema had to be political, therefore it doesn't have the emotional resonance of his later films. You can't take it with you, on the other hand, feels too naive, too hopeful to be really convincing. Capra tried to end his films on a hopeful note, but here the film lacks the cruelty that makes his endings so great. In Mr Smith goes to Washington, there are adults beating kids in the streets to protect a corrupt system, for example, something people forget when they say that Capra had a naive vision of humanity...

The Sting fucking rules

-Vader

BlairCo wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 9:27 am
I'm currently going through all the Best Picture Winners. Which one should I watch next? Here's a list of ones I have not seen:
Dances with Wolves
The Last Emperor
Out of Africa
Terms of Endearment
Chariots of Fire
Ordinary People
The Sting
Patton
Midnight Cowboy
Oliver!
In the Heat of the Night
My Fair Lady
Tom Jones!
Gigi
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Around the World in Eighty Days
The Greatest Show on Earth
An American in Paris
All About Eve
All the King’s Men
Hamlet
Gentleman’s Agreement
The Lost Weekend
Going My Way
Mrs. Miniver
How Green Was My Valley
Rebecca
Gone With the Wind
You Can’t Take it With You
The Life of Emile Zola
The Great Ziegfeld
Mutiny on the Bounty
It Happened One Night
Cavalcade
Grand Hotel
Cimarron
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Broadway Melody
All About Eve. One of the few that has probably become more relevant and more true as the years have gone by, rather than being strictly emblematic of the era it was produced in.

Alt would be Gone With the Wind which is essential.