Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Went to my local movie store and they had Buy 5 Get 5. Tell me how these are since most of them I haven't really looked into:

Eraserhead (1977) - David Lynch - [DVD 2000?]
Time Bandits (1981) - Terry Gilliam - Criterion - DVD
The Brood (1979) - David Cronenberg - Criterion - DVD
The Game (1997) - David Fincher - Criterion - DVD
Dreams (1990) - Akira Kurosawa - Criterion - DVD
The Executioner (1963) - Luis García Berlanga - Criterion - DVD
Secret Sunshine (2007) - Lee Chang-dong - Criterion - Blu-Ray
Do The Right Thing (1989) - Spike Lee - Standard Blu-Ray

Bacon wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 7:39 pm
Went to my local movie store and they had Buy 5 Get 5. Tell me how these are since most of them I haven't really looked into:

Do the Right Thing is a stone-cold masterpiece, watch it now
Dreams didn't do it for me but I might not have been in the mood for it. Typically wonderful late-period colour Kurosawa images though; some segments stronger than others
The Game is terrific fun
Eraserhead is from another planet

Bacon wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 7:39 pm

I just watched The Executioner (1963) a couple of days ago for the first time. I absolutely loved it! Super entertaining but also super well-done. A masterpiece, if you ask me. It's been awhile since I watched any of the others (most recent one was Secret Sunshine), but they're all classics!

Have fun with these!

Why are David Lynch films so difficult to come by?

Watched Eraserhead and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I started looking at how to get his filmography, and it seems like each film has a qualifier. (The Elephant Man is about to be on 4K...BUT is only available in Region 2...BUT there's a German Region-Free Blu-Ray...BUT it costs $30). Inland Empire seems to be impossible to find.

I'd think his films would have a much larger audience and would have the studios jumping at the chance to pump them out.

Bacon wrote:
February 23rd, 2020, 6:18 pm

Watched Eraserhead and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I started looking at how to get his filmography, and it seems like each film has a qualifier. (The Elephant Man is about to be on 4K...BUT is only available in Region 2...BUT there's a German Region-Free Blu-Ray...BUT it costs $30). Inland Empire seems to be impossible to find.

I'd think his films would have a much larger audience and would have the studios jumping at the chance to pump them out.
This is why I have a region free Blu-ray player. Best investment I've made in my 23 years of life.

Bacon wrote:

I'm not sure "difficult to come by" means "just isn't streaming." Almost all of them are on Blu-Ray.

Lynch's two most acclaimed movies (both of which being in the Sight and Sound top 50 movies of all time and one of them being ranked as the best movie of the century by the BBC Critic Poll) had regular releases, are on Criterion and are often streaming. This is also all true for Eraserhead and Fire Walk With Me (which you shouldn't watch until after the fist 2 seasons of Twin Peaks). They were also all on the Criterion Channel for a while but I don't think they are anymore.

Lost Highway is reasonably easy to find and is on blu-ray. The Elephant Man is reasonably easy to find on blu-ray. Wild at Heart is reasonably easy to find on blu-ray.

Inland Empire is his most obtuse and inaccessible movie and made approximately zero dollars, so I'm not surprised it's hard, and you should make that your last Lynch anyway. PS, the idea that Inland Empire could ever find a large audience and studios would "pump them out" is hilarious.

anyhow, hope you enjoy Lynch. his work means everything to me.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 12:33 am
Bacon wrote:

I'm not sure "difficult to come by" means "just isn't streaming." Almost all of them are on Blu-Ray.

Lynch's two most acclaimed movies (both of which being in the Sight and Sound top 50 movies of all time and one of them being ranked as the best movie of the century by the BBC Critic Poll) had regular releases, are on Criterion and are often streaming. This is also all true for Eraserhead and Fire Walk With Me (which you shouldn't watch until after the fist 2 seasons of Twin Peaks). They were also all on the Criterion Channel for a while but I don't think they are anymore.

Lost Highway is reasonably easy to find and is on blu-ray. The Elephant Man is reasonably easy to find on blu-ray. Wild at Heart is reasonably easy to find on blu-ray.

Inland Empire is his most obtuse and inaccessible movie and made approximately zero dollars, so I'm not surprised it's hard, and you should make that your last Lynch anyway. PS, the idea that Inland Empire could ever find a large audience and studios would "pump them out" is hilarious.

anyhow, hope you enjoy Lynch. his work means everything to me.

-Vader
There is no Elephant Man's Blu-Ray that is a US/Region 1 release. The Lost Highway Blu-Ray is not up to Lynch's standards (or most of the people's standards I've read online). Inland Empire (on Blu-ray or DVD) is pretty expensive to get, and The Straight Story does not have a Blu-Ray. That's almost half of his filmography not available on Blu-Ray or print in America.

I don't often blind buy Criterion unless I find them cheap, I'm not really concerned by the films on Criterion because they're many of his most available works (even before their respective releases). I've owned Mulholland Drive for a while and I randomly picked up Blue Velvet today at a Best Buy on a clearance rack.

Really excited to get into his work. A few of my friends are absolutely fanatic about his work the same way I am with other artists (directors/musicians), so I've kind of been waiting until the hype died down to get into it all.

How's The River (1984)? There will be a blu-ray this July. I love Zsigmond's work, he truly was one of the great cinematographers.

one of my close friends who's seen a lot but not everything just got criterion channel and asked for a list of 20ish movies for quarantine, i know many of you have seen a bunch of this but, hell, in case anyone's bored:

-Red Shoes!!!!
-Life and Death of Colonel Blimp!
-Seven Samurai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (top 5 for me)
-Yojimbo
-High and Low (*insane* craft)
-Ikiru
-Roshomon (essential art house! what is truth??)
-Yi Yi!!!!!!!!!!!! (amazing, legit changed how I see life, new obsession)
-Wages of Fear (masterpiece of suspense and style)
-L'Avventura (Antonioni is peak Ennui, VERY slow, empty, haunting, changed movie style and narrative forever. AMAZING)
***if you like / love this, watch La Notte (my fave) + L'eclisse***
-Vivre Sa Vie
-Pierrot Le Fou (fave Godard)
-Band of Outsiders (http://SO.MUCH.FUN.)
-Stalker (lulling & meditative & mesmeric, don't try to understand it, just absorb it. top 10 for me)
-8 1/2 (fellini, surreal)
-Battle of Algiers
-Harakiri (one of the highest rated movies on letterboxd, a pacifist anti-establishment samurai film)
-Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
-Tokyo Story (essential Ozu)
-Ugetsu (amazing atmosphere)

-Vader

Nomis wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 7:20 am
How's The River (1984)? There will be a blu-ray this July. I love Zsigmond's work, he truly was one of the great cinematographers.
Eh. Some good sequences but not strong enough for a blind buy.