Drive (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
theweatherman wrote:
tykjen wrote:If his social strange side with the girl was on purpose, are you also saying you knew he had a real mean motherfucker inside him all along that he was suppressing?
Nothing gave me an impression of that. To me he kept it short and simple using few words as possible. "I drive"
Then you really missed the essence of the character there are moments that build to that point that make the character's action in the second half believable. I thought it did a great job of establishing how much more there was to the whole character.
Mention to me these moments.

tykjen wrote:
theweatherman wrote:
Then you really missed the essence of the character there are moments that build to that point that make the character's action in the second half believable. I thought it did a great job of establishing how much more there was to the whole character.
The scorpion jacket.

lol. That jacket made me simply think it took place in the 80's. That along with the pink text intro. Reminded me of GTA Vice City in some strange way. Or was it a case of; "Oh yea I am a dangerous guy so I am gonna make a symbol that represents it somehow on the back of my jacket" "Scorpions frighten me! It is time to share my dread"

tykjen wrote:lol. That jacket made me simply think it took place in the 80's. That along with the pink text intro. Reminded me of GTA Vice City in some strange way. Or was it a case of; "Oh yea I am a dangerous guy so I am gonna make a symbol that represents it somehow on the back of my jacket" "Scorpions frighten me! It is time to share my dread"
Nope. It's not about what frightens him. It's about the scorpion and what it symbolizes. Usually scorpions are calm predators, protective on their family and always avoiding conflicts. However, if somethings crosses the line with them they get very offensive and "violent". It's in their character. They stay still, without moving. They stay in complete silence. If you step on their tail though... then they will bite and they will bite hard no matter the consequences.

That's why his character is a "scorpion". But that's just a small clue from many about how his character is in real life. His job is also another big clue. It tells us a lot of him. The fact that he's willing to risk, the fact that he's not afraid of the physical pain or he's not afraid to face death. The fact that he's so controlled and docile. The fact that he seeks that adrenaline rush. Even his gloves are a clue about his character. It shows the coldness he could have. The meticulous side of him. The patience.

And there are more.

RIFA wrote:
tykjen wrote:lol. That jacket made me simply think it took place in the 80's. That along with the pink text intro. Reminded me of GTA Vice City in some strange way. Or was it a case of; "Oh yea I am a dangerous guy so I am gonna make a symbol that represents it somehow on the back of my jacket" "Scorpions frighten me! It is time to share my dread"
Nope. It's not about what frightens him. It's about the scorpion and what it symbolizes. Usually scorpions are calm predators, protective on their family and always avoiding conflicts. However, if somethings crosses the line with them they get very offensive and "violent". It's in their character. They stay still, without moving. They stay in complete silence. If you step on their tail though... then they will bite and they will bite hard no matter the consequences.

That's why his character is a "scorpion". But that's just a small clue from many about how his character is in real life. His job is also another big clue. It tells us a lot of him. The fact that he's willing to risk, the fact that he's not afraid of the physical pain or he's not afraid to face death. The fact that he's so controlled and docile. The fact that he seeks that adrenaline rush. Even his gloves are a clue about his character. It shows the coldness he could have. The meticulous side of him. The patience.

And there are more.
The "frightens him" bit was just a lil Batman Begins joke regarding manifested symbolism of character.
But I got all that you mention. I just thought it was too hidden and not really shown off too well.
He kept his cool all the way until he exploded and not much else to it. I may have to see it again, perhaps with glasses.

tykjen wrote:
RIFA wrote:

And there are more.
The "frightens him" bit was just a lil Batman Begins joke regarding manifested symbolism of character.
But I got all that you mention. I just thought it was too hidden and not really shown off too well.
He kept his cool all the way until he exploded and not much else to it. I may have to see it again, perhaps with glasses.
He also threatens to hammer a machine gun bullet into a guy's head.

RIFA wrote:It's about the scorpion and what it symbolizes.
Was that for hindsight, or something one was supposed to understand right away based on his 80's pilot jacket with a scorpion on its back, combined with a professional speech over the phone? Have you looked into astrology for any additional meanings? :lol:
But all jokes aside, through your scorpious resasonings, second time watching it will be better I guess. You can't blame me for finding the movie boring since I expected more Driving than Drama. Walking into the movie fresh would have done no good either. The intro is still some of the finest Ive seen combined with a tight soundtrack. Acting great, the shooting, setting. It just lacked drive and momentum. The moment in the elevator became one big wtf. I never thought he was an American Psycho. But as mentioned, second time around might do it justice.

tykjen wrote:
theweatherman wrote:
Well the big moment for me was
in the diner when the guy comes up to him and makes conversation and he seethes anger and intensity. The way he delivers the line about kicking the guy's teeth in told me everything I needed to know about the character.
There was also
the hotel scene after the pawn shop robbery, the violence and aggressiveness he shows just builds throughout the movie culminating in that elevator scene.
For you to say that came out of nowhere just shows that you missed the clear development that led up to that point.

Forum Pro
Law

Well the big moment for me was
in the diner when the guy comes up to him and makes conversation and he seethes anger and intensity. The way he delivers the line about kicking the guy's teeth in told me everything I needed to know about the character.