What was the last movie you've watched? II

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
RIFA wrote:virgo, movieposter are shits. Don't post their posters lol.
OK, I edited it.

That poster is god awful. :batface:

TomClaydon wrote:That poster is god awful. :batface:
OK, I edited it.

Princess Mononke-

In what may be my favorite anime film ever, this highly ambitious and endless imaginative somehow captures everything I could ever hope to find in film as a whole.

I stumbled upon this review from Variety and it captures my thoughts perhaps better than I could:
Japan's all-time box office champ, "Princess Mononoke," is a rich cartoon fable of bygone gods locking horns with man and with industry, which threatens to unbalance the forces of nature. Though set in the 14th century, its ecological bias and feminist slant provide a modern resonance. But the picture -- steeped in Asian folklore -- will require shrewd translation to connect with Western audiences. A few deft brush strokes could result in strong theatrical returns and extremely buoyant cassette sales. The ani could reap a bounty from all revenue streams as it ushers in a Japanese animation franchise.
(Disney recently concluded a multipicture acquisition of films by "Mononoke" director Hayao Miyazaki that will include theatrical and video releases in the U.S. and other territories. "Mononoke" will open via Miramax in the summer.)

Flying in the face of popular Western animation, "Princess Mononoke" is not a musical, nor is it primarily directed at preteens, even if that group can readily embrace it. The film represents a bold experiment for Miyazaki, whose earlier work, including "Kiki's Delivery Service," "The Red Pig" and "My Neighbor Totoro," had more gentle, youthful themes. The new film, which has grossed more than $150 million in Japan, is not only more sharply drawn, it has an extremely complex and adult script.

The tale begins in Japan's distant and sparsely populated north. In the opening section, young Prince Ashitaka is valiantly fighting off a demon god -- a giant boar seemingly possessed by wormlike creatures. After the prince slays the beast, the village oracle begs its forgiveness, but it has already left its curse on the prince and infected him with a fatal disease. He's told by the seer that he must venture to the west to have the malediction lifted.

The journey evolves into a mystical and violent pilgrim's progress. He encounters bloodthirsty samurai, a corrupt priest and cuddly, docile forest gnomes. Eventually, the prince arrives at the great forest and is befriended by Lady Eboshi, who operates a giant ironworks on its periphery.

Ashitaka finds himself thrust into the middle of several conflicts. Eboshi's clan is in danger of attack by rivals. The great struggle however, is between the factory and the forest families of boars, wolves and the like who are being killed off to make way for industrial expansion. For centuries, the woodland denizens have controlled their turf, but this woman has a powerful secret that's turned the tables -- gunpowder.

Allegiances are further clouded by the arrival of the title character, also known as San. She not only runs with the wolves, she considers herself one of them. San does not know what to make of the young stranger. And though each side considers him friend or foe at various stages, Ashitaka ultimately wants to reconcile the two and find the deer god who can cure his affliction.

In keeping with the best of Disney's toon features, "Mononoke" develops full characters, obscuring the lines separating it from live-action fare. Eboshi is not some cardboard villain; rather, she is a force of the future, employing society's misfits, such as lepers and ex-prostitutes, and giving them the chance to find dignity in work. She's also headstrong and incapable of backing down once she's thrust into battle.

Pic shares an eco theme with Miyazaki's earlier "Pom Poko," but it is much richer, drawing upon the nation's history and adapting folkloric legends for a highly original tale. "Princess Mononoke" has the soul of a romantic epic, and its lush tones, elegant score by Joe Hisaishi and full-blooded characterizations give it the sweep of cinema's most grand canvases.
9.15/10

-Vader

4.7/10

A New Hope (bluray)

Such an entertaining movie and the bluray is pretty sweet.

Also Vader, I love that you're watching Miyazaki and Kieslowski films right now, they are some of my favorite directors. I also love that you liked White so much, it seems many people don't think it is very good, but I love the way he blends a serious story within this lighthearted comedy. I'm curious to see what you think of Red, and if you get a chance to watch it, the Double Life of Veronique (My favorite of his films).

theweatherman wrote:A New Hope (bluray)

Such an entertaining movie and the bluray is pretty sweet.

Also Vader, I love that you're watching Miyazaki and Kieslowski films right now, they are some of my favorite directors. I also love that you liked White so much, it seems many people don't think it is very good, but I love the way he blends a serious story within this lighthearted comedy. I'm curious to see what you think of Red, and if you get a chance to watch it, the Double Life of Veronique (My favorite of his films).
Red's my favorite. I really adore the films, I think I'd award a 9 to them as a whole. Really want to rewatch them before delving into anything like a profound review. I'll make sure I get Double Life of Veronique and watch it when I can.

-Vader

Ides of March

8/10
Why you lurking my page brah?

Hanna - 8/10

One of the most underrated films of the last few years. I simply cannot understand why this film hasn't received as much attention as it should have.

First of all, Joe Wright is an incredible director, he's slowly getting into my top 5. Second, and most importantly, Saoirse Ronan is a doll, and a badass. She was perfect for this role in so many ways and I really cannot think of anyone else who would have done it, unless the producers really looked for someone at the depths of high school martial arts clubs across the world. She has such rich potential in Hollywood as she grows older. She was great in Atonement and The Lovely Bones and she just amazes me in this film.

I would have given it a 9, but the only weak point was Cate Blanchett's performance. She was good, but she didn't feel like a villainous character. Someone like Tilda Swinton or Glenn Close would have been perfect and would have really rounded out this film in a great way.
Last edited by Cilogy on October 10th, 2011, 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Dodd wrote:Ides of March

8/10
what are your general thoughts on the film?