Favorite Cinematography?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Every shot in "I Saw the Devil"

xWhereAmI? wrote:Every shot in "I Saw the Devil"
When the damsel is broken down at roadside in her car, one of the best shot sequences in recent memory I've seen.

Her (2013). The cinematography (by Van Hoytema) in this movie is nothing short of incredible.

They make a lot of weird and sometimes factually wrong comments in that roundtable.

Any examples?

he takes issue with all the pro-film talk

Crazy Eight wrote:They make a lot of weird and sometimes factually wrong comments in that roundtable.
Like what? I'm genuinely curious.

Crazy Eight wrote:They make a lot of weird and sometimes factually wrong comments in that roundtable.
Crazy knows all

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:he takes issue with all the pro-film talk
Well I take issue with people saying scientifically incorrect things. Wally Pfister made a post on Insta today doing the same thing, spouting off film's color depth and "layers" and "inherent color". Like it's cool if you love film and wanna shoot on it, but stop acting like any of this has been true for the last couple years. The DP's in this video just say a bunch of voodoo and it's sort of baffling how technically inept people shooting movies at this level can be.

The only other thing that kinda baffled me was when Christensen said that it was important to have been absolutely certain and absolutely decided on shooting particular shots at 8 frames per second and committing to that decision, and all the other DP's agreed. Maybe it's because I'm growing up as a digital baby, but I don't get how cutting your creative legs off is a good thing. Like, the logic is that it requires you to make real decisions during production instead of leaving everything to the edit, but since there's zero quality loss in shooting at a higher frame rate and cutting it down in post, why not give yourself options? Shoot it fully knowing and intending you want it at 8 fps, but allow yourself room just in case. It just seems like weirdly dogmatic nonsense to me.

Also Bradford Young turned "do you like film or digital" into "what are your thoughts on race", which was weird.