Tomb Raider (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
An Oscar Winning actress, who is obviously talented, avoids the script she's been presented, accepts the project for the sake of paycheck.

Based on the 2013 video game, and featuring Alicia Vikander as the latest incarnation of a game character who's been around for 22 years, "Tomb Raider" surprisingly plays like a throwback to the classic late-'80s/early '90s era of action filmmaking, represented by the likes of "Cliffhanger," "The Last of the Mohicans," the first couple of Indiana Jones films, and Jackie Chan's "Armour of God" series.
Not going to lie, that opening paragraph to Matt Zoller Seitz's review did more to get me intrigued for this movie than any of the trailers or television ads have.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/tomb-raider-2018

The first half the movie (7.5) is better than the second half (6.5), where the second half is dragged down in quite a bit of video game machinations. I was hoping for a bit more Hannah John-Kamen but her role amounted to a cameo and Lara's early personal relationships were largely left on the cutting room floor as I noticed stuff from the marketing that wasn't in the movie. The actors are definitively better than the script and they all help to elevate it and I didn't mind where the plot went for
Lara's father being alive and Himiko's disease/curse
, I think those elements could have been better executed though, especially most of all
Trinity
I wasn't happy with how that is resolved or is not resolved. My ideal Lara Croft is the charming, cultured and quippy one (though there are some quips here and there) and there's a sense in the end that's the direction a sequel could go in rather than more coming-of-age roughed up struggling Lara again. The move did give me the sort of adventure I was looking forward to.

7 out of 10
<----------5----*------>
5 is average

Definitely better than Assassin's Creed, though I didn't dislike that one as much as some other people did.

Mark Kermode seemed to enjoy it more than he expected so maybe there is something interesting in here. From what I hear it's like a 90s action film and maybe that could be fun?

A lot of people seem to think it's decent at least. I'm watching it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Saw it.

Can't really remember it, story/dialogue wise.

Last act was a mess but the action was what you'd want. Lara portrayed perfectly. Gets me pretty hyped for the new game.

5.9/10

If it was not for Vikander's charisma, this movie would have fallen flat. She elevates even the most awkwardly written dialogue.

BlairCo wrote:
March 20th, 2018, 8:28 pm
If it was not for Vikander's charisma, this movie would have fallen flat. She elevates even the most awkwardly written dialogue.
So she’s Lara Croft in a Tomb Raider game... er, movie.

I didn't hate it. A fun adventure despite its obvious flaws.

Goggins is a scene stealer and Vikander is surprisingly good.

I wouldn't rule out watching it again.

This was a 7/10 for me as well. I went in with pretty low expectations and ended up having a good time. Probably won't ever watch it again though.

Vikander did a great job, and I encourage everyone who doubts her in a role like this to watch the movie. I do think she fit the character perfectly (having played both the rebooted games). Walton Goggins was also really good, but his character wasn't heavily unexplored and I feel like they could have done so much more interesting things with him.

I thought the CGI was amazing, and it had just enough elements from the games to make me satisfied in that regard. It also took some things in another direction to fit the format better. However the entire story did feel a little bit rushed, and I wish I felt more invested in the characters.

It does sort of set up a sequel, and honestly I won't be mad if they make another one. Might not watch that in the theater though.