Django Unchained (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Had another viewing of this and Basterds after a really long time and I observed some shit.

Much like TDKR, it's a film that seems to live from moment-to-moment, with each scene essentially being a small snapshot of a much larger canvas. Also like TDKR, this is where the majority of flaws come from. Both films, I think, could have really benefited from a pretty much unlimited runtime, if only because the complete picture would be fully realized. However I know, and I think even Nolan and Tarantino knew, that this is unrealistic.

The final act of this film is also quite messy. I could count several moments where it should have cut to black and let the credits roll, but it just goes on and on and on. It's really just Tarantino being extremely and overtly Tarantino, maybe even more than modern cinema standards and conventions can handle. It has some really weird moments of editing too, as if the last sequences of scenes were sort of cobbled together in the cutting room in the most "efficient" way possible. I imagine the same thing happened with Nolan's flick too; it seems like both directors had to make a lot of decisions based on efficiency rather than how things flow, simply due to the circumstance of having written and filmed a lot of material.

This is a bit difficult for me to explain, but Django also has a lot of musical cues that enter smoothly but get cutoff suddenly in a weird way. For example, the way the John Legend song starts and the way that scene plays out is really beautiful (this is one of the moments where it should have ended), but the film soon cuts it off and immediately introduces a jarringly different song ("Too Old to Die Young"). The same thing happens just a few minutes later when that same song is also cut off and the orchestral score kicks in. You might have to see this sequence to get my meaning, but it's moments like this that really show the very rough and inconsistent flow of the film. Basterds has some similar issues, albeit not as many. Namely, during the final scenes in the theater, you have the same hard cuts and sudden musical cues and cutoffs that seem pretty jarring. In the end, I think Basterds flows better overall and isn't as much of a "Tarantino gone wild" as Django.

Cilogy wrote:Had another viewing of this and Basterds after a really long time and I observed some shit.

Much like TDKR, it's a film that seems to live from moment-to-moment, with each scene essentially being a small snapshot of a much larger canvas. Also like TDKR, this is where the majority of flaws come from. Both films, I think, could have really benefited from a pretty much unlimited runtime, if only because the complete picture would be fully realized. However I know, and I think even Nolan and Tarantino knew, that this is unrealistic.

The final act of this film is also quite messy. I could count several moments where it should have cut to black and let the credits roll, but it just goes on and on and on. It's really just Tarantino being extremely and overtly Tarantino, maybe even more than modern cinema standards and conventions can handle. It has some really weird moments of editing too, as if the last sequences of scenes were sort of cobbled together in the cutting room in the most "efficient" way possible. I imagine the same thing happened with Nolan's flick too; it seems like both directors had to make a lot of decisions based on efficiency rather than how things flow, simply due to the circumstance of having written and filmed a lot of material.

This is a bit difficult for me to explain, but Django also has a lot of musical cues that enter smoothly but get cutoff suddenly in a weird way. For example, the way the John Legend song starts and the way that scene plays out is really beautiful (this is one of the moments where it should have ended), but the film soon cuts it off and immediately introduces a jarringly different song ("Too Old to Die Young"). The same thing happens just a few minutes later when that same song is also cut off and the orchestral score kicks in. You might have to see this sequence to get my meaning, but it's moments like this that really show the very rough and inconsistent flow of the film. Basterds has some similar issues, albeit not as many. Namely, during the final scenes in the theater, you have the same hard cuts and sudden musical cues and cutoffs that seem pretty jarring. In the end, I think Basterds flows better overall and isn't as much of a "Tarantino gone wild" as Django.
I've seen this brought up by several people, can you give some examples?

BroskiSabor wrote:I've seen this brought up by several people, can you give some examples?
It's relatively okay right until the shootout.

m4st4 wrote:
BroskiSabor wrote:I've seen this brought up by several people, can you give some examples?

m4st4 wrote:
I agree, it got a little messy there. But I don't really see it ending any other way as Cil said.

These are just my personal preference.

One example I gave above was when
Django breaks free from the Australian gang, and those three slaves are looking on in amazement as he rides off with "Who Did That to You" playing in the background. If it ended there, I would have stood up and applauded for a solid 5 minutes.
Another is:
when Django blows up the mansion and looks back at the camera and smiles. That's an awesome shot and would have been a nice place to end it.

It just goes on and on after that. He goes back and does some tricks with his horse. There's a rather unnecessary clip of Shultz telling him he'll be the "fastest gun in the south". Throughout this whole segment I'm thinking, "okay, let's wrap it up already".
But I get it, it's a revenge flick and it's typical Tarantino throwing back to exploitation films, and he wants to be extra gratuitous with the celebration and hero shots to enhance this effect. I understand that, but even Tarantino's own style can be too much.

Retrospectively, I'm surprised it won best screenplay, unless the Academy was going by the original script before the movie was cut down (which I haven't read).

Cilogy wrote:These are just my personal preference.

Django breaks free from the Australian gang, and those three slaves are looking on in amazement as he rides off with "Who Did That to You" playing in the background. If it ended there, I would have stood up and applauded for a solid 5 minutes.
Another is:
when Django blows up the mansion and looks back at the camera and smiles. That's an awesome shot and would have been a nice place to end it.

It just goes on and on after that. He goes back and does some tricks with his horse. There's a rather unnecessary clip of Shultz telling him he'll be the "fastest gun in the south". Throughout this whole segment I'm thinking, "okay, let's wrap it up already".
But I get it, it's a revenge flick and it's typical Tarantino throwing back to exploitation films, and he wants to be extra gratuitous with the celebration and hero shots to enhance this effect. I understand that, but even Tarantino's own style can be too much.

Retrospectively, I'm surprised it won best screenplay, unless the Academy was going by the original script before the movie was cut down (which I haven't read).
I totally agree on the second. I didn't really think about that extra bit, but it could have ended there perfectly. The first, though, would have left me wholly unsatisfied as a viewer. What would have become of Broomhilda? Isn't this guy going to get some REVENGE??

BroskiSabor wrote:
Cilogy wrote:These are just my personal preference.

Another is:

I totally agree on the second. I didn't really think about that extra bit, but it could have ended there perfectly. The first, though, would have left me wholly unsatisfied as a viewer. What would have become of Broomhilda? Isn't this guy going to get some REVENGE??
I think it would have been implied, but I also don't think Tarantino is the type of director who runs on suggestions and implications. A lot of other directors do that better, simply because they take a more subtle approach to their narrative. Some would say that's a perfect place to end it, as the rest of the film is unnecessary, but QT of course isn't like that. He would much rather go that extra mile and show you exactly how the hero triumphs, and then have them rub it in the face of the villain (the endings of Death Proof and Basterds are good examples).

But like I said, it's partly a revenge film after all, and it resides firmly within that sort of Tarantino-esque universe, so it makes sense in one of his films.

I'm glad I'm not the only one unhappy with the last part. Those last 25 minutes are messy and lower the movie.

Most of all im interested in qt's reasoning behind it. He never does anything without a reason and he's always at full command of every element so im curious about the purpose behind his decisions. Compared to what did those scenes and editing fail? What was it supposed to be that it failed to be?