Akira (TBA)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 4:07 pm
1) i have no idea why we need a remake (or a ~reimagination~) of a project that was already a success in what it tried to communicate, is relevant, and doesn’t need a cultural “update”
2) to do the justice to the world building of the anime/manga, the budget would VASTLY exceed anything this film could (probably) earn in b.o.
3) i know the anime tells only a part of the full story (yes, read the manga), but another film would still fall into the same trap, cuz the manga is just too long
4) any attempts to westernize or americanize the story will hit a brick wall or straight up fail, because akira is just an inherently japanese thing. you can’t just copy paste neo tokyo to neo york or whatever. it’s not akira anymore. why not just try and come up with a “loosely inspired” but original project then? then you can do whatever the hell you want, cast whatever people you want and what not
5) ultimately, i know a remake wouldn’t take the original away, but i just don’t see the point. it’d be very difficult to do and not fuck up - it’s too bizarre, aggressive and violent, eccentric and extremely expensive project. To pull it off you have to go all out or don’t do it at all, and I can’t see a big studio greenlighting all the weird shit that happens in source materials.

just like

what’s the point
They're hoping it makes money.

LelekPL wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 7:42 am
They're hoping it makes money.
Well no shit. But it’s just not a very likely thing to happen. GitS bombed. Pretty much any live action anime/manga adaptation bombed both critically and financially. Considering how long this has been in developmental hell, the number of directors getting attached and then dropping this like a hot potato, you’d be hard pressed to think they know how to proceed with this stuff. First Neo New York and Travis whatever, now it’s California apparently. Just do an “inspired” original, give Otomo a story credit, and go from there.

Inspired original doesn't have the brand recognition or potential of an IP. And sure, all of them bombed thus far. Akira will mostly likely bomb as well. But it still has a better chance of making money than being an original property. At least that's what the studios think. Plus, there's merchandising.

I wonder if this story has the same impact if it's rated PG13 than rated R, which the anime was. I also doubt that they'd go R with live-action, because there's a lot wider audience for merchandise with PG13 than with R.

Ace
Taika Waititi's 'Akira' Sets 2021 Release Date
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... 21-1213499
Taika Waititi's Akira has set a date.
The adaptation of the classic Manga will open on May 21, 2021, Warner Bros. announced Friday.
Leonardo DiCaprio is producing though his Appian Way along with Andrew Lazar.

I LOVE Taika but...

I've never seen the movie of read the books, but he seems a weird choice for a cyberpunk sci-fi no?

everyone

stop posting in this thread

stop it

"Taika Waititi’s Live-Action Akira Movie Will Reportedly Start Filming In July." Like WTF? Where the hell are the actors?

can we just lock this thread and pretend it’s not happening

inb4 lock