Akira (TBA)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Of all the anime out there they could make into live actions. They have to touch a classic? WTF? Only a few directors could handle this properly but I don't see why are they giving it to this guy Taika Waititi who directed a very mediocre Thor movie that look like it been shot majority off a green screen and very cheap looking.

In their defence they did supremely fuck Death Note and Ghost in the Shell up before coming after this.£

As long as this has a Japanese cast and is in Japanese, they could be heading into the right live-action direction.

But I still think there's not need for one, the anime is terrific on it's own.

Master Virgo wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 2:28 pm
In their defence they did supremely fuck Death Note and Ghost in the Shell up before coming after this.£
i just finished stand alone complex and 2nd gig for the first time and am planning to watch this

i will most likely commit suicide right after

anyway Akira is distinctly Japanese and this is a fool's errand. I *hope* it can work but I'll be a doubting thomas until it releases.

-Vader

BR2049 was almost $200mil budget. I don't know how they are going to do the anime justice because this movie would need to be around $300mil.

1) i have no idea why we need a remake (or a ~reimagination~) of a project that was already a success in what it tried to communicate, is relevant, and doesn’t need a cultural “update”
2) to do the justice to the world building of the anime/manga, the budget would VASTLY exceed anything this film could (probably) earn in b.o.
3) i know the anime tells only a part of the full story (yes, read the manga), but another film would still fall into the same trap, cuz the manga is just too long
4) any attempts to westernize or americanize the story will hit a brick wall or straight up fail, because akira is just an inherently japanese thing. you can’t just copy paste neo tokyo to neo york or whatever. it’s not akira anymore. why not just try and come up with a “loosely inspired” but original project then? then you can do whatever the hell you want, cast whatever people you want and what not
5) ultimately, i know a remake wouldn’t take the original away, but i just don’t see the point. it’d be very difficult to do and not fuck up - it’s too bizarre, aggressive and violent, eccentric and extremely expensive project. To pull it off you have to go all out or don’t do it at all, and I can’t see a big studio greenlighting all the weird shit that happens in source materials.

just like

what’s the point

There's truth in Ruth, as always.

it'll be the new Dragonball or The Last Airbender

You know, they do seem to be adapting the most Japanese of anime, if that makes sense. Like Gundam could be played by white people and be in English, but not Akira lol.

Waititi has already said he'd cast Asian teenagers to lead the film if he ended up directing it.